Carriwin's Tank Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just used clear office tape to hold the background in place. I think three years and counting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would be curious to see the black plastic used as have no hope of moving the tank here for painting. I have just used normal tape on an aquarium background. Mostly it holds fairly well but had to re-tape two spots.

Yea I figured that would be a possibility, but I have no issue with having to re-tape. Especially if it isn't a constant thing. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just used clear office tape to hold the background in place. I think three years and counting so far.

Awesome, thanks. Now I just got to get around to doing it haha. Thinking Sunday is WC day so that should be a good day as any.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, I have apistos fry! (OMG!)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469156344.527739.jpg

I know the tank is cloudy, I tried blacking out the tank, didn't help. So, I was planning to relocate everyone in the tank anyway, so what did it matter, right? Pfft!! Ha! I have a nursery!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469156426.267044.jpg

And, for everyone's amusement: that's a white plastic garbage bag on the back. :D That's the 10g and happens to be on the counter in direct view of one of the windows and I didn't want anything growing in there but my fish. BOY was Papa fish pissed off. Completely went pale, flipped out and was not happy. Mama was faring a little better. I moved as many fry over as I could. I honestly think I got them all.

So, here's the 38g, a little cloudy still:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469156628.118622.jpg

Side note, those are my albino cories you see. :) I moved the two green cories into the Angel tank along with the red betta. Patriot now resides in the 38g with everyone else. The two tetras I moved into the planted 55g.

Put the brand new heater in the planted 55g, moved the sword to the corner as the heater is too tall for the tank, so it's now laying sideways. I put the other fake log in there for more hiding spaces for everyone since they were time sharing the one log that was in there. I like my new driftwood arch. :D

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469156915.618433.jpg

Never did make it to the dollar store for black trash bags. That's tomorrow's project I think along with vacuum bags. :)

Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

I have never tried to breed fish. My snails keep me way to busy.

Good luck with your babies!

Here's the kicker: I didn't try either! Apparently the apistos liked the tank they were in... *shrugs*

Thanks for the luck, gonna take all I can get I think. :)

Here's the link to the baby fry moving in their new tank: Baby Fry Video

I ran around and took pictures this morning of all the tanks.

104771-albums14536-picture70421.jpg

The 38g, still a little cloudy, we'll see how it looks when I go home later. (And yes, Tmaier, the trash bag trick will be on this one, too. :D )

104771-albums14536-picture70422.jpg

The green cories are in the picture behind the plant. I couldn't find the red betta this morning, he was hiding rather well. He happens to love that driftwood piece, so I'm sure he was in a crevice.

104771-albums14536-picture70420.jpg

Here's my "find a fish" picture. I see 6... LOL Everyone seems a little happier with the new set up. A lot more swimming room in the middle and my nifty driftwood arch. The heater is below the water line in the middle, so now the circulation from the filter is moving the warmer water throughout the entire tank, as opposed to it all being wedged in the corner. :D I'm hoping that will make everyone in total a lot happier. The tetras were added and so far seem to give that little bit of life that was previously missing during the day. It's nice to see movement all the time, as opposed to taking pictures of plants and people asking me where the fish are. :lol:

I'll be picking up trash bags this evening and applying them to the back of my fishtanks. I'd love to see how they amplify the look. :)

Congrats on the babies!
How's your leaf fish doing? Love the cories! Miss not having any maybe one day I'll buy some.
Great looking tank's ?

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Thanks, shelly! The leaf fish are doing alright! One timeshares the log with the clown loaches, and the other is in the bottom left of the last picture. He hangs out IN the plant. :D So far, so good... Lots of firsts in the last couple of months with these tanks.

Barliman, Thanks so much! I have no idea what kind of Apistos they are, I'll have to ask pitbully. They were originally his fish. :) They're really pretty though, and the fry are still living from what I can see. :) So there's hope I think.

And, ... for the grand reveal: Backgrounds!

104771-albums14536-picture70440.jpg

I love how my leaf fish is playing "leaf" in the sword plant on the left. Everyone else seems to be happily playing through the rest of the tank. :) I'm very pleased with the way everything seems to be turning out. I'm concerned a bit because I haven't seen the other leaf fish about, but he usually likes to hide in the log. I rarely see the both of them at once. I'll have to go searching this evening when I get home to see if I can find it.

104771-albums14536-picture70439.jpg

So, as you can see, Patriot is front and center. :) Everyone seems to be much happier being in the slighly larger tank. For entertainment, I put the lava rock and few other small rocks in the tank as well to give it a little extra flavor. You can see one of my oto's also present. :)

I tried putting the green cories on their own in the large 55g with the angels, however they weren't having it and pouted in the corners. I eventually put them back in the 38 and all was well again. :) The GBR looks a little lonely, so I think I'll be picking up at least one other of those and possibly some tetras (rummy nose or something maybe) We shall see.

Looks awesome. The dark background really makes everything pop.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

Very nice carriwin ur tanks are looking good love apistos

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I appreciate that, KingKoopa! I'm hoping I end up with a few that live so I can have more to swim around and keep for a bit. :) I think once I move everyone back into the 38g, if they opt to spawn again, they won't need to be moved that time and I may have better luck.

Looks awesome. The dark background really makes everything pop.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

Liking the dark background as well, looks very nice and solid.

Your tanks are looking might fine! For the apistos I don't know what kind they were. Dave and I traded some fish and that's what i received in the trade. They are nice looking fish on your tanks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!!! :D I really appreciate that. :) It's honestly nice to be able to just sit and look at them without having the urge to fuss with them all the time cause I feel like somethings "wrong" with them. :) It really means a lot coming from you guys. :D

Hey guys, not sure if this helps, but I bought some background for my tank recently and received the advice to lightly coat the face of it with vegetable oil, and then you smooth it on to the tank glass (outside of course), removing air bubbles. It worked a treat!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom