catching babys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tornadonick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just got back from vacation and found some little baby platys swimming around. Is there an easy way to catch them or am i going to be chasing them around for hours?

tornadonick,
The easiest way to catch fish......Do it while doing a water change when the water level is low.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Platy fry are pretty quick, you just have to use the net to catch them were there goin to be, not where they were, young grasshopper :)

Aww!! Sounds cruel to use a gravel vac! xD Good luck though ^^

by the time i was able to get ahold of them i was only able to get 2
i thought there where more but i cant find them. Ah well, its not really a rare thing for platys to breed, ill get a picture of there tank on here later.

I found it easiest to push a plastic jug into the water near them. The suction when the water rushes into the jug pulls the fry in with it. You can then just pour them out. I feel that this works better than a net as the fry are never out of water and can't get tangled in the net either.

Next time use a breeding net if you think its going to have babies within 1-2 days

Just dont stress the mother out... or it could have the babies too early like mine... They came out BIG but they looked like eggs will eyes

Back
Top Bottom