Catching holding females

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sistill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any tips on catching holding fish would be gratefully received, apart from stripping the tank down I have run out of ideas and patience!!!

Tried that when I did my last water change, as soon as I stick my net in they hide.
They have got another few days of trying before I start taking rocks out!!.
It's a cobalt blue zebra, red top afra and a lab that are holding so I am lambing on stripping them into my fry tank together.

Shock them. I don't know allot about cichlids but this might work, wait till night and turn the lights off in the tank so the whole room is dark wait a few minutes then turn the lights back on, this temporarily disorients the fish making them easy to catch. works every time for my fish

Answer to your Q:

What I do is I use 2 nets a biger one and a small I put the big net into the water and leave it there for about 5 min the fish get use to it in the tank then I use the small net to chase them into the net u will need a net in both hands so u can catch them if u don't get them straight away leav it for 5 min then try again so u don't stress her and she spits thes into the tank . This seems to be the best way I could get around it I think pachence is the way

Back
Top Bottom