Changing filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have a penguin biowheel 75 hob filter and it's been running for quite some time now. I have an established cycle and all is well. The carbon filter is getting pretty nasty. I clean it in tank water when I do water changes but it's at the point where is really grimey. I just bought new cartridges and I'm weary about changing it out due to it may affect my cycle?

Is it as easy as just taking it out and putting the new one in since the BB is on the biowheel(?) or am I wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some more info would be helpful...tank size , stocking ,etc . I use Marineland Bio-Wheel filters but a much larger size . The one you have is small and not many options , but I guess you could take the old one out and rub it on the new one to transfer as much bacteria as possible and then put the new one in . Best advice with any size tank is get a better HOB ...lol

Sorry I should have noted some of that.. It's a 10gal tank with only 4 Guppys in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally (not saying it's the right thing), I don't use carbon filters in my tanks unless I'm removing medication or some other chemical. I replace all the carbon filters with a simple filter media, which I rinse in dirty tank water at every water change, and replace every couple months. I typically use a marineland bonded filter pad. It comes in rolls, which I simply cut to size and double.

Personally (not saying it's the right thing), I don't use carbon filters in my tanks unless I'm removing medication or some other chemical. I replace all the carbon filters with a simple filter media, which I rinse in dirty tank water at every water change, and replace every couple months. I typically use a marineland bonded filter pad. It comes in rolls, which I simply cut to size and double.

+1 I agree.

However, I just leave the carbon in there tbh. When it's exhausted it works just the same as other filter media and will grow BB on it just like the rest of the filter.

Back
Top Bottom