changing from discus to cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowlbt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i currently have a 6 foot tank running discus and angels and clown loaches plecos etc.
i also have a 2.5 ft x 2ft tank with electric yellows and frontosas.
i am wanting to change the larger tank into a cichlid tank also.
will i have to start from scratch and start a new biological filter ???
As the ph levels are very different and the whole layout will change from a planted tank to rocks and sand.

Do you mean a rift tank? Because the larger one is technically already a cichlid tank as discus and angels are both in the family cichlidae. At any rate, the bacteria should be fine if the pH increase is more gradual and not just a sudden and massive change.

well yes technically they are but i meant african cichlids like peacocks and frontys and electric yellows etc.
as my ph with the discus and angels is currently around 6.2-6.4 so i will need to bring it up to around the 8.0 mark even a bit higher.

Do you mean a rift tank? Because the larger one is technically already a cichlid tank as discus and angels are both in the family cichlidae.

This is why I am rarely on here anymore we all know what he meant.

As to your question. You will be fine in your transition. Just do a drip acclimation to the new tank. The ph is not as big concern for the cichlids you mentioned they will thrive well in any water that is drinkable from the tap as drinkable tap water has to fall between 6.5 and 8. They aren't sensative like the discus.

It also makes people sound pompous and arrogant. When he stated the fish he was talking about there was no room for assumption.

But that's enough from me I am going back to friendlier forums. Leave you and your buddies to enjoy your self made pedestal.

It has nothing to do with trying to be arrogant or condescending, it's about making sure the correct info is being used in the whole process. OP may have been thinking central americans, which sometimes like higher pH as well. I'm not going to argue as nothing I said was arrogant, rude, or condescending, it was to try and get a better understanding of what OP wants.

^ Come on now,

Anyways, your Bacteria will be fine, what does your tap come out as?
Most taps come out 7.0 or higher so just remove the fish and any decor or other things (Peat or whatever makes your pH low and your water soft) and do a big water change. If your tap ph is low you might want to add some crushed coral or other rock that raises pH.

It has nothing to do with trying to be arrogant or condescending, it's about making sure the correct info is being used in the whole process. OP may have been thinking central americans, which sometimes like higher pH as well. I'm not going to argue as nothing I said was arrogant, rude, or condescending, it was to try and get a better understanding of what OP wants.

Yes because frontosa and electric yellow labs are often found in central america riiiiight hahaha.

Sorry guys diddnt mean to start a roit

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're all good. So are you gonna move the fronts? Cause a 2.5' x 2' won't house them too long

Yes I sure am how many do you think I coukd house in a 6ft tank?

Its a 6x2x2 are you talking gallons or litres?

Newly created setup

Attachments

• 1400465750534.jpg
    1400465750534.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 73
I was talking in gallons and a 6'x2'x2' is equal to 180 gallons. My advice would be to move your fronts and do a species only tank. My own opinion though

Back
Top Bottom