Changing to LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes dawg ! I tried to buy my first two clownfish from them, but we were unable to catch them as they have the back glass enterly covered by live rocks... The clowns were hosting the big finger softie.

World is big, but so small with internet ^.^

Omg cant beleive it i left a note on the door saying where my money was and the deliverer didnt even check just posted an other note... So tired of waiting now i paided it online so now they will drop it off probably tomorrow i hope

Please link where I can buy these and what is the warranty like? Aren't you worried they might break after a couple months?

Also, is there a way to time the dimmers so they mimic a day dusk night dawn cycle?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please link where I can buy these and what is the warranty like? Aren't you worried they might break after a couple months?

Also, is there a way to time the dimmers so they mimic a day dusk night dawn cycle?

Go to eBay, type in 165W LED reef light. It will pull up a bunch, but they are all the same. And yes I've worried about it but the conduit is pretty sturdy, and I bolted it through the stand.

Far as I know mine only had a year warranty, is have to look where I bought mine. And no there isn't unfortunately

I don't understand why marineland or any of the major companies can't come up with a naturally dimming cycling light source. My fish hate it when I power up the lights at night. They dart all over and look as if I tossed a flash bang grenade into the tank.

Dimming cycling LED lights have been used in Christmas tree lights and laptop LED lights for at least 5 years...

Pretty sure this requires the led fixture to have PCM drivers. Non-dimming fixtures don't have these drivers, so this is just a inexpensive controller.

You are correct. This timer only works with LED fixtures from the same manufacturer as the timer. That being said, this manufacturer also makes a product called Orbit Marine which is a single fixture that contains 4 types of LEDs (8,000K white, 12,000K white, 445nm blue, 460nm blue) with ramp up and ramp down timers to simulate dusk/dawn transitions.

Anyone want to comment on why people on this thread chose the ebay 165W LED instead of the product from this company? They seem to be highly rated on amazon.

Update: I just came across this thread which sheds some light on this issue:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/current-usa-orbit-marine-289330.html

You are correct. This timer only works with LED fixtures from the same manufacturer as the timer. That being said, this manufacturer also makes a product called Orbit Marine which is a single fixture that contains 4 types of LEDs (8,000K white, 12,000K white, 445nm blue, 460nm blue) with ramp up and ramp down timers to simulate dusk/dawn transitions.

Anyone want to comment on why people on this thread chose the ebay 165W LED instead of the product from this company? They seem to be highly rated on amazon.

Update: I just came across this thread which sheds some light on this issue:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/current-usa-orbit-marine-289330.html

Since then, Carey, has purchased the lights and put them on her new 40b tank. If you'd like more info, go look at her build thread. Puts a good review on the orbits side.

As for the 165w. They are tried an true on this forum. Cheap, and they can grow anything you want, plus they last a while. Can't get any better, right?

The orbit is not proven to keep high light corals yet. Generally, the lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate like the 2 and 3 watt LEDs most fixtures are using now. Not to mention, the dawn/dusk simulation doesn't do anything to help coral growth or coloration. It's just for human enjoyment.

The orbit is not proven to keep high light corals yet. Generally, the lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate like the 2 and 3 watt LEDs most fixtures are using now. Not to mention, the dawn/dusk simulation doesn't do anything to help coral growth or coloration. It's just for human enjoyment.

I don't totally agree here. I've found my lights ramping up and down to simulate dawn and dusk doesn't do anything for coral however my fish enjoy it. Before I had LEDs my fish would get startled when the lights came on and went off, now they will start to move around as the lights brighten.

Doesn't ambient light in the room do the same thing then? BTW, dimming just came out not long ago, and before that every fish keeper on the planet was fine with the on/off lighting. My fish don't complain.

Doesn't ambient light in the room do the same thing then? BTW, dimming just came out not long ago, and before that every fish keeper on the planet was fine with the on/off lighting. My fish don't complain.

Actually I used to run a freshwater tropical fish farm 20 years ago and startling the breeding fish with sudden lights-on is one of the sure ways to cause parents to eat their eggs or young. I think that's an indication that the fish don't like it at all and that it triggers a stress response. Its not a good idea to plug aquarium lights into a wall outlet that is controlled like a room light (using the aquarium light as the room light).

Your absolutely right X dimming is new, however in the short time I've had it I notice a huge difference. You ever have someone blast you in the eyes with a flashlight? It startles you regardless of how the ambient light is, same scenario. When my t5 lights would come on (usually daylight with fish swimming) the fish would dart for cover. Now it doesn't effect them at all. As for coral it doesn't really make a difference though I have noticed once my lights dim down some of my coral start to extend their feeders where before they would after lights out.

I finally received and installed my new 165w dimmable led. I am pleased with the result. Great coral colours and great look! I love the way you can adjust the light to your preference.i started running them at 40% fullnspectrum and 55% blue. Does that make sence in a 35 gallon and the lights are 13
Inches from the top of the tank. Here is a pic of the tank under these leds. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397264956.539170.jpg

Back
Top Bottom