chiller required with metal halides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not necessary, depending on the way your tank is set up and how hot your house is or can get. I have 2 250w MH lamps and my heater will still kick in. (I live in WI, and my tank is in the basement).

HTH,
Max

I have 2 250 MH and a 4x65w Coralife and no chiller. I just have two fans in the canopy to keep things cool. It only changes about 2 degrees during the day. If your tank is in the basement, you shouldn't have any problems with the heat.

Mike

I have 3 250watt MH on my tank i dont have a problem at all with heat in my tank. Maybe a degree or two difference in the temp during the day thats all. I do have 2 fans on while the lights are on also to cool it down.

My 175W pendant heated my 40 gallon Hex up significantly. It isn't normally a problem, but when the room temperature also gets hot, I need a fan directed at the sump water surface just to hold temperature within tolerance.

No point in attempting to cool the light itself.

I have 3x250 MH lights on a 100 gal tank and I DO have a problem with temp control, which is increasing each day as the ambient temperature warms up in my house facing SW. I have two fans on top and one on the refugium. I am advised to get a chiller, but it seems there must be a better way. So back to the original question, how do you cool down a tank without a chiller?

If the ambient temperature in the room is somewhat warm or your ventalation is low in the hood you may need to seek extra cooling via a fan blowing out of the canopy or blowing directly over the sump or tank. This will increase evaporation and thus cool the tank. If you need to drop 5* or more than a chiller might be required if you cant adjust other enviormental conditions like the room temperature.

Try to maintan the tank temp no higher than 82.

I found for now just blowing a fan under the light is the cheapest way it does look a little bet werid but it does the job. Also to make it look more presentable they sell clip on fans on eBay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom