Chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I I have to worry about my guppy fries with my Chinese algae eater or should I put a common pleco in there?

Ashley. said:
I I have to worry about my guppy fries with my Chinese algae eater or should I put a common pleco in there?

CAE can be very aggressive. I have 3 in my 75g African Cichlid tank and they hold there own but I don't have your average tank.

My favorite quote regarding Chinese Algae Eaters:

"I would rather suck the algae off the glass myself than put a CAE in my tank."

What size tank is this, and why can't you just manage the algae yourself?

Ashley. said:

I think it depends on how big your tank is & how old the CAE is. They typically say that if their housed in at least a 30g with fast fish the fast fish are safe. It's usually others of similar type & more flat type fish that are in the most danger. From my reading they don't typically get aggressive until close to adults & into adulthood. I have 2 myself in a 46g, the larger one shows slight aggression towards the smaller one on occasion; I've only had them about 6 months.

Mine have been with me for almost a year and I've had no issues. But then again my tank is like where I grew up. A dark street in the south Bronx. Ya just gotta k is your place of you'll be taught your place lol. And that ain't no lie.

Gargamel (cae) is hopefully finding a new home in a 75 g tank. Hopefully the adoption will go thru.

A common pleco is more of a pond fish IMO. You could try a Saimese algae eater. Mine decimates algae. Other plecos are excellent for aquariums. I adore my bushynose!

Back
Top Bottom