Chocolate cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is the fish I am talking about, but the page did't mention when they would start showing their colors.

Chenay83 said:
Does anyone know how big a chocolate will get before it gets its colors?

My experience is that they are lemon/all brown colored until about 3 inches. They start coloring up nice around 4 - 6 inches. Mine just hit 6 inches and is looking very impressive

They are extremely fast growing, so it won't be long.

Ok great. My local pet store always have a tank full of them. People just seem to overlook them because of their boring colors. The guy looked surprised when I asked for four of them.

Chenay83 said:
He said they looked really plain.

It's kind of foolish to base a purchase on their appearance when they are in the 1 - 2 range. I can't think of any fish that look the same when they grow.

However, buying 4 at once would raise some eyebrows due to their adult size. Other than breeding, that would be crazy.

Well I got 4 hoping for a pair. A friend is going to take the other two. If a pair doesn't form we are still going to spilt them.

Well I got 4 hoping for a pair. A friend is going to take the other two. If a pair doesn't form we are still going to spilt them.

Any idea what you'll do if you get fry? Chocolates are great fish, but very common and I imagine they'll be difficult to sell or even unload for free.

He has a 180gal but he has a full grown oscar in it, so he can't put them in until they get older.

Chenay83 said:
He has a 180gal but he has a full grown oscar in it, so he can't put them in until they get older.

I'm not sure I understand this plan. So you'll grow them out and then store them (possibly hundreds of chocolates) in a 180gal with an Oscar? This sounds a little problematic to me. What size tank are you going to keep them in while they grow to 3" - 4", when they would be large enough to house with the Oscar?

I not really sure of his plan or when he thinks they are going to be big enough. As for me I am growing them out in a 55gal. The they are moving to the 200gal. From what he has told me and what I have read, they tend to be poor parents so I'll be lucky if I can save some.

Back
Top Bottom