Choose for me a pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qdocs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need a high pressure pump for my 50 gallon reef tank. The tank is in the first floor, the sump is down in the basement that is 12ft high and 10 ft running horizonal. I need an EXTERNAL pump can pump 800 gal/hour at that height (my curent pump is 785 gal/h Rio 2100 under the tank now). Anyone let me know what pump to buy. Thanks

you could use a mag24 which would give you a little more like 900gph at 12 feet head. I calculated your head loss with this pump using 1-1/2" pvc with a ballvalve, three 90 degree fittings, and 4 unions in case you want to have access to the pipe at any time. (plus the 10 ft horizontal, which doesn't really alter the head loss).

This is your cheapest option, other pumps would be overkill and would need to be throttled back quite a bit to end up at 800gph.

The ampmaster 2100, would be another choice, but is probably double the price and has 2" outlets.

ryguy said:
you could use a mag24 which would give you a little more like 900gph at 12 feet head. I calculated your head loss with this pump using 1-1/2" pvc with a ballvalve, three 90 degree fittings, and 4 unions in case you want to have access to the pipe at any time. (plus the 10 ft horizontal, which doesn't really alter the head loss).

This is your cheapest option, other pumps would be overkill and would need to be throttled back quite a bit to end up at 800gph.

The ampmaster 2100, would be another choice, but is probably double the price and has 2" outlets.

hi ryguy! dunno if you remember me but was the newbie you gave a closed loop suggestion.

finished my loop and am using a mag 24 with scwd on my 130 gallon tank. you think this is overkill? was using a mag12 previously but just thought it was not giving me enough flow... am i correct?

How much head do you have after the pumps outlet?

Do you have anything else with a return entering the tank, such as sump return etc...?

I would imagine you got some serious current ripping through your tank. Do you have areas of refuge for placing corals that don't like lots of flow?

Does your SCWD only alternate between 2 outlets? If so, i might try to alternate between 4 outlets, 2 per cycle. That will diffuse the current and be more effective in my opinion. Set it up with to elbows on both sides of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom