Christmas moss help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would agree. But I think the penetration at depth of those 10w bulbs is pretty low. Also was assuming the spiral bulbs, not the u tubes. I haven't seen u tubes in 10w.

Do you think 2 17w bulbs would be ok with regular excel dosing? I think it would do well and get light to the substrate.

You can usually find 10w utubes at lfs. Also, I don't know how much penetration will be an issue in a 10g.

With 17w Bulbs, you'll definitely be in co2 territory with utubes, but it's hard to tell with spirals.

I think even with u tubes that excel supplementation would be sufficient sans CO2. Definitely with spirals though I would want more than 10W bulbs. I would rather have a single 20W than 2 10W bulbs.

It has been ages since I looked at light bulbs in an LFS I guess since I am running LEDs on my tanks now. Back in the day they didn't even sell any CFLs at the LFS.

I do have u tube CFLs. They sell them at walmart for five dollars. So should I or should I not upgrade my lighting? And if so, to what exactly? U tubes or spirals? I would really prefer not to do CO2. And if I can get a carpet, which species would you suggest?

I would though it isn't as critical if you have u tubes. I was thinking spirals this whole time.

I would personally upgrade to something with more watts and dose excel. I think you could get away without co2 that way -- especially if you are looking for a carpet.

You could try HC, glosso, or dwarf sag. The dwarf sag is the easiest but also exhibits the least compact growth.

So why exactly is my moss dying? Will excel revive it?

And do you still agree with your previous suggestion for lighting or should I stick a bit under that since Aqua_chem thinks that high of light would need CO2? And are we talking spiral or u shaped now?

I'm definitely going to try a carpet. I'll probably go with whichever is easiest to find for sale.

Also my water sprite is really more yellow than green... perhaps I do have some kind of deficiency in my tank?

Perhaps there is a deficiency. How long have you had it in the tank and was it healthy when you put it in?

I personally would go with higher lighting. I think excel will work in lieu of co2 with as much as 40W of cfl on the tank. There is no hard and fast answer unfortunately and some of it is trial and error. What works for some does not necessarily work for all. For a few dollars you could try some higher watt bulbs for a few weeks or a month and see what happens. If you do that, dose excel at least every other day, and pick up some API leafZone or flourish comprehensive and dose that, I think you will have success.

I got it in may. I ordered it off of ebay and it took like three weeks to get here. I thought maybe the shipping length might have killed it but it looked healthy for quite a while and looked great when I got it.

I will definitely upgrade my lighting and start dosing excel. Would it cause problems to dose before I upgrade my lights? I planned on starting to dose tomorrow.

I asked earlier, it was 30ppm. Leads me to believe light is the issue here.

Then why do you think my moss is dying? :hide:

I actually would love to upgrade lighting simply because I really want a carpet plant.

Ok I'm having a very hard time finding lighting... Here's my problems:

A) they are plug in bulbs... and mine need to be screw in (is there a way I can use those in my fixture? an adapter or something?)
B) the only ones that are screw in are 10 watts...
C) all the ones at walmart that are more than ten watts and screw in are 2700k... which is not good for growing plants, right?

Can anyone help me with this? :facepalm:

Yes those would be perfect for what you are trying to accomplish.

I am not sure I agree that 2 10 watt bulbs is sufficient to grow Xmas moss. Java moss maybe. If it was a single source 20W bulb I would agree with you AC.

Excellent, thank you. I just ordered them plus a bottle of seachem flourish. I'm excited to see how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom