Christmas moss help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good. None of that will certainly hurt and it will be good to grow a ground cover. If the moss doesn't bounce back we can at least narrow in on a cause.

I think I've decided on HC as my carpet plant. Do they appreciate root tabs? I just have regular old petco sand.

Root tabs probably won't work out so well as HC is easy to uproot. Replacing them every few months would be a nightmare. I have had the best results growing it in a nutrient rich substrate (I use aquasoil) but have also grown it in plain gravel with satisfactory results.

Oh okay, gotcha. I hope it'll work out well then without special substrate. I'm not expecting it to be perfect on my first try anyways, lol.

I ordered some java moss online today in case my christmas moss completely dies on me. Probably should have started out with easier moss in the first place. Hopefully I'll be able to grow this in my other tanks as well. Some articles online actually list christmas moss as a difficulty level of hard. If only I researched before I bought but hey, I wouldn't be taking the next step of increased lights and ferts if I did. I'm going to go out and buy my HC after I set up my lights and stuff to make sure I start out doing it right this time lol.
My amazon order says it's shipping today... So hopefully I'll have my stuff by thursday or friday.

My order finally came in the mail hooray! I put in my light bulbs and they sure make the tank look brighter! I have a few questions about my fert dosing schedual though.

Okay first, excel. I started my first dose with 5ml (ten gallon tank) since it was the first dose and since then I've done every other day with 1ml until I do my next water change which I will then dose 5ml and then 1ml every other day and so on. Will this suffice?

On the bottle of flourish (which should be refrigerated?) it says to dose once or twice a week. What do you suggest? It also says to dose 5ml per 60 gallons in contrast to excel which is 5ml per 50 gallons... which makes it not nice to do my math. So it should be ever so slightly less than 1ml per 10 gallons...

I am going out tomorrow to pick up my HC.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately the store I thought would have my HC didn't have any and petco told me they can't order in plants so no HC for me today... :( so I'm either going to take a 30 min drive north to see if they have it at a fish store there or order it online.

okapizebra said:
Any suggestions?

Unfortunately the store I thought would have my HC didn't have any and petco told me they can't order in plants so no HC for me today... :( so I'm either going to take a 30 min drive north to see if they have it at a fish store there or order it online.

I'm doing Christmas moss carpets. The one floating is doing awesome way better than my rock one, maybe closer to the lights and moves in the water. I think it looks dead inside but can see tiny pieces of moss growing out of the dead. I've had it about a month and what I've read is 3 months to start see a good carpet starting.

Order online. It is cheaper. You might post in the classifieds here or check Aquabid.com

I'm actually starting to see green growth coming out of the brown moss. I was seeing it before I installed my new lights, so I'm not sure if it was the excel or if it just took it a while to get situated in my tank. Either way, I'm glad!

Do you have any advice on my earlier post about my dosing schedual?

I'm going to check one more store. If they don't have it, I'll order it online.

Ordering online has always been the best way for me to get plants. Green leaf aquariums has very good prices on HC and many others, and if you order enough plants then you are saving money by spending less than you would for the typical $5 pot at an LFS. I got 3 pots of HC for $3.50 each plus $5 shipping.

4000th post! :)

Wow, that's a great price. Too bad I already ordered mine. I just checked the website and they are out of stock anyways.

Got my HC in the mail today!! Super exciting. It was definitely the most difficult thing I've ever planted, lol. Here are some pics! And my moss is actually doing better as well!

Attachments

• DSCF1578.jpg
    DSCF1578.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF1579.jpg
    DSCF1579.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF1580.jpg
    DSCF1580.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 87
No, the pink flower is the only fake plant I have, actually lol.

My HC hasn't grown one bit. And... My moss hasn't changed one bit. I dose excel every other day and comprehensive once a week after PWCs. I'm thinking I either need to start doing excel or maybe get into a DIY CO2 system. My moss really looks mostly dead except the green bits sticking out. But they never grow. So... No progress has been made whatsoever. Lol

Oops. I meant start doing excel daily. I don't know how to edit posts on my mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom