Cichlid behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure what kind but I'll post a pic. Not sure male or female. Anyway this one lately is going to bottom of the tank and is like fanning the gravel. I guess that's a way to describe it. She lays in a spot and moves her body side to side kicking up sand and gravel then moves on.

Been doing this for a few days.

The color is amazing. It has some blue and orange in it. The top fin is orange. Beautiful fish.

View attachment 64558

Last edited:
Is it getting harassed by any of the other fish? The fins look a bit frayed. I would agree that it sounds like spawning behavior, but couldn't help but notice the fins.

mfdrookie516 said:
Is it getting harassed by any of the other fish? The fins look a bit frayed. I would agree that it sounds like spawning behavior, but couldn't help but notice the fins.

No I'll take a better shot. It's a very beautiful fish. I don't think stressed at all. Has some pink almost stripes and orange on the fins. I'll try and get a good shot. That picture is from when I first got them. Could have been the new environment or something?

Hmm ok. They just look a little ragged in the pic. If they're clean, no worries... just wanted to point that out, though it sounds like it's just a bad pic.

Based on the appearance of the red eye, I'd say it some type of albino, but will withhold further thoughts till I see one of the updated pictures.

is it always in the same place? or does she/he do it all over. if it's in the same place im willing to bet 2 things:1) this is a male, 2) prepare for fry! maybe we can trade :)

NyteGTI said:
is it always in the same place? or does she/he do it all over. if it's in the same place im willing to bet 2 things:1) this is a male, 2) prepare for fry! maybe we can trade :)

Appears to be the same place. Right near the tunnel of rocks I built. Right in the corner.

And of course I'll trade! :)

yea then it's spawning behavior. they either pickup rocks & move them with their mouth or blow them around using their tailfin. once they reach the glass bottom you'll start to see the one whos digging do a shimmy like gesture that looks like he's having a seizure at a female. it's normal and it's their mating dance. i wish I could have gotten a video of my yellow lab because it was hilarious. but DON'T FREAK OUT when you see the seizure move lol it's normal.

NyteGTI said:
yea then it's spawning behavior. they either pickup rocks & move them with their mouth or blow them around using their tailfin. once they reach the glass bottom you'll start to see the one whos digging do a shimmy like gesture that looks like he's having a seizure at a female. it's normal and it's their mating dance. i wish I could have gotten a video of my yellow lab because it was hilarious. but DON'T FREAK OUT when you see the seizure move lol it's normal.

Hahaha!! You know me so well already!! Pulling my hair out a million posts waiting for a response! LoL.

Any new behavior? My kribs did a similar dance and I now have a few fry swimming around a few weeks later

Big-j said:
Any new behavior? My kribs did a similar dance and I now have a few fry swimming around a few weeks later

Nothing new. I had to breakdown the tank and re home some very very aggressive chiclids.

Back
Top Bottom