Cichlid behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Why do my Mayan and flower horn twitch they're heads side to side occasionally? Are they communicating?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like high nitrates

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No other fish do that in the tank but them and they are the dominate ones...(alpha males)

I see show tanks with more than what I have and are way larger, even in a 125 gallon with foot longs at a very popular fish store called tongs and every time I go in they are still there, so I'm not ignoring anything, they said it's fine as long as I'm cleaning it.

I see show tanks with more than what I have and are way larger, even in a 125 gallon with foot longs at a very popular fish store called tongs and every time I go in they are still there, so I'm not ignoring anything, they said it's fine as long as I'm cleaning it.

And this tank is stocked with new world cichlids or Africans? Because the informative video you sent us the other day about over stocking your tank was regarding African cichlids.

Also, people will sell you anything to take your money. They know when your fish kill each other you will be back to purchase more fish.

Next time you're in that store I would love to see a picture of the show tank you are referring to.

I'll tell you this I'm not putting anymore stock in my tank, if anything I'll be removing the catfish, Mayan and flower horn. It's been a learning experience, and eventually I'm just going to have a frontosa based tank which is my goal, maybe I look like an idiot overstocking but I'm following advice from fish sellers that are probably not looking out for my fishes well being, idk you guys are probably right. But for now they have been getting along and no fatalities have occurred.

Okay. To answer your original question: check your water parameters and do a water change.

If your water is fine it could be the fish showing dominance considering those are very mean fish living together.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437175306.565698.jpg ok maybe a little bit bigger than I thought, that doesn't look over stocked to you guys?

Thanks jmats, think I need to siphon because they have large droppings, I just did this a week ago! Lol I will say it is a lot of work though. This is why I switched to large rocks instead of small gravel, it's easier to clean up.

I'll tell you this I'm not putting anymore stock in my tank, if anything I'll be removing the catfish, Mayan and flower horn. It's been a learning experience, and eventually I'm just going to have a frontosa based tank which is my goal, maybe I look like an idiot overstocking but I'm following advice from fish sellers that are probably not looking out for my fishes well being, idk you guys are probably right. But for now they have been getting along and no fatalities have occurred.

This is a very good attitude and sounds to me like you will get it figured out. Good to hear. The guys here are much more knowledgeable and interested in the well being of things than anyone trying to sell to you and 99% of those on YouTube. Your receiving good advice, these guys are incompatible (the old worlds/new worlds) and shouldn't be over stocked for aggression purposes(the new worlds).

Regarding the pic of the tank, yes IMO that is overstocked and not in a beneficial way, which again applies only to Africans.

Think you changed my mind about things... I'll be back with an update in about an hour or two.

Glad your getting the idea. The reason I say nitrates is it is ideal to keep the nitrates under 20. I have 1 11" hybrid in a 55 gallon and only feed pellets. I need to do an 80% water change every 5 days to maintain this. I am willing to bet your nitrates are above 50 with the stock you have and the tank size.
img_3250905_0_8a24d3aad31e79f0eedf6c540562d959.jpg

Mike that guy got huge

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437181400.405162.jpgtook these to the fish store and he didn't want to trade at first but I do business with him often so he gave me a break and he said ok 4 peacock cichlids small, than I saw he had frontosa small, so some haggling and ended up buying 4 frontosa and getting 2 free along with an electric yellow peacock. I know they will get big but now it'll give me time to get my upgrade off the ground, I want to thank you for convincing me to change my stubbornness lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437181761.639883.jpggot to clean it and fill it up but this is where I'm at guys. 6 frontosa small 1 electric yellow small and a few loaches I had in the tank to begin with. The gourami I'm transferring to the 10 gal

Electric yellow peacock?

And sweet deal on the frontosa, that will be a cool tang tank.

Awesome that you listened. Im actually in shock that someone here realized they had a problem and actually took steps to fix it.

Good deal. I believe ( I'm not an African cichlid guy) fronts are slow growers. But keep in mind you will eventually need a 180 min for a proper group which I believe is 6. Again I am not well versed in frontosas and I agree that they are awesome fish. Some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom