Cichlid Being too bossy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yratra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, i have a cichlid tank which is 55 gallon,

it has 2 cory doras small (still), 2 bristlenose catfish (babies) and 6 cichlids

and i have an orange cichlid which is the boss

he is good most of the time....
but lately his been flaring at one of the light blue cichlids all the time. and the light blue one doesnt move much because of it. they do have spaces to hide, and water quality is always good, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. they have rocks to hid in and plants, even though there nearly gone. they all eat...

and if you guys could please name the cichlids for me as well. if anyone knows....

The top left - boss orange (background fish is electric yellow i think)
top right - blue with yellow head?
bottom left - Orange and blue lines?
and bottom right - pink lines on white skin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
and this picture is the one that gets teased its the light blue one...'

name of the cichlid anyone?

and i know that they maybe american and african cichlids mixed in there.

apparently i heard that you shouldn't mix them, but i was naive and listened to a pet shop salesperson...

but i have to keep them now..

thanx for the help

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 79
Im pretty sure the boss is a red zebra, but also corydoras are not compatiable with these fish, they will eventually get ripped apart from the aggresive cichlids.

yratra said:

it has 2 cory doras small (still), 2 bristlenose catfish (babies) and 6 cichlids

but lately his been flaring at one of the light blue cichlids all the time. and the light blue one doesnt move much because of it. they do have spaces to hide, and water quality is always good, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. they have rocks to hid in and plants, even though there nearly gone. they all eat...

and if you guys could please name the cichlids for me as well. if anyone knows....

Hi mate the yellow one in the back round of the two yellow ones is a MBUNA cichlid I got a breeding pair n their da boss in my tank also hope it helps

Sicklid-collector said:
Hi mate the yellow one in the back round of the two yellow ones is a MBUNA cichlid I got a breeding pair n their da boss in my tank also hope it helps

Mbuna is a very large group of cichlids which are the "rock dwelling cichlids". They are aggressive. The orange with blue stripes is a type of peacock (way to peaceful for those mbuna - which are the red zebra (orange one) and the yellow lab)

The tan one looks like an apisto, but I think I'm wrong. That's a south american cichlid.

SA/new world/Africans all have different water and diet requirements along with much different aggression levels. If you don't look into rehoming, that red zebra is gonna do it for you. Unfortunately he moves them to the toilet to heaven.

yratra said:

The third from the left (rusty brown) is a Ruby Red Peacock.

so removing the red zebra and the yellow lab, and replacing them with more peaceful cichlids? would be a better choice?

Back
Top Bottom