Cichlid Bonding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bonded with my boys today, i trained them to take food from my hand and let me pet them.

My biggest buy, a red collar of 3 inches is the bravest and would pick and eat pellets from my cupped hand. I first got them to get used to me and used to my food container, they rush to the corner everytime they see my bring it out. Today I put a few pellets in my cupped hand and lowered it. Took a minute but the big guy came to me and ate a few pellets. A few other bigger cichlids came following him, once the pellets were gone, the red collar was still hanging out and i brushed my fingers along his side and fins, it looked like he enjoyed it as he swam around and rubbed against my fingers quite like how a cat rubs on your leg. I did it again tonight and same outcome. This time i wedged a few pellets between my finger nail and they picked it off, my sulfer head let me pet him too.

Who knew that cichlids were such like dogs, i love these guys, anyone else have any similar experiences? if not you guys should try it!

Back
Top Bottom