Cichlid/Discus info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
Fund a great deal on a 90 gallon long at a local store, and thinking it's time to try my hand at a biotope tank.
I am REALLY interested in starting up a discus tank, and am well aware of their finicky needs.
What kind of tips and tricks does everyone have for a beginner in the cichlids/discus world?

The tank should be designed completely around their needs. The biggest issue for this is tankmates. There are more than some people think, and fewer than others think. The biggest issues are the temp and pH you decide to keep your discus at.
What is your tap water's pH?

Without a natural buffer it ranges from 7.6-7.8
And this will be pretty much ONLY discus unless there are other SUREFIRE tank mates that are great for them.

There are a lot of options. Many tetras are a great option. Rummynose, cardinal, and a few others are the most common. Many cories, sterbai are probably the most popular. Bristlenose plecos are perfect for them. And many, many more. Use fishbase.org to compare the temperature needs (this is usually the only issue, depending on what temp you keep them at).

They are from Amazonia, like SO many other fish we already keep. People have this idea or give the impression that they are from some isolated lake that is super acidic and hot and has no other fish. They are from the same waters as so many other fish we already have in our aquariums.

Are you planning on altering that pH/KH? If so, how?

I will probably have to have cuddle bone in there to naturally buffer/raise. I planned on sterbai, but not sure about keeping smaller fish like tetras in there. If small enough, and if the discus are large enough, would they not end up as food?

Some tetras are a lot larger as adults than others. If they grow up with the discus they also have a good chance.

Cuttle bone would increase pH/KH, but not be the best option if that is what you wanted. You want to lower pH/KH for discus. The only safe way to do this is by diluting your tap with RO water. Fortunately your pH/KH is not so extreme that it is a must. People have bred discus in 7.6.

My bad, meant driftwood...was thinking of my current setup for tropical which has a lower pH.
Would a fairly large school of something like Congo or emperor tetras work?
And I am worried about doing this a planted tank. Heard such mixed reviews and discus and planted/bare bottom

I wouldn't do bare bottom. Sand is the most natural, is just as easy to maintain, and gives them some decor. I don't think it is fair to them to keep them in bare tanks for the sake of our ease of maintenance, it is like raising your kids in a hospital room.

Emperors are another good one.

Driftwood can only do so much. And stuff like driftwood and peat also discolor the water. Driftwood is good to have for decor, but I wouldn't rely on it to control the pH.

You can lower your pH by using RO water. All those tankmates listed above are surefire, not to mention hummingbird tetras and chocolate gouramis. If you want a cichlid tank, do an African themed one.

I was looking at African first, but fell in love with how graceful discus are at my LFS.
African it is!!
I was thinking of a stocking list like this:
(3 each? Recommendations demanded!!)
• Copadichromis sp. "Mloto fluorescent"
• Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan"
• Aulonocara stuartgranti
• Placidochromis electra
• Otopharynx lithobates
• Nyassachromis species

Just because discus are delicate doesn't mean they're impossible to keep. If you were dedicated to them it would work. But if you want African cichlids that's fine too, I like both equally because they're both so interesting to watch!
I'm sorry, but could you give the common names? I'm too lazy to look them up and I'm using the iPhone app so by the time I find them all it'll be thirty minutes gone by. Sorry!

I just took suggestions from cichlids forums, they didn't list the common name, I will have to research them myself.
But it appears that my water is slightly to alkaline for discus and messing with pH is something I'd really rather not do unfortunately.

It's cool. I don't want to convince you if you don't want to. I don't like to pressure people, I just like giving ideas.
African cichlids are cool. I recommend 55 gallon minimum.

The deal I found is a 90 gal.
And no pressure. I can certainly manage a sand and planted tank. But chemistry is a little beyond my real world brain, and I'd rather not get in over my head and end up with suffering fishes :(

I was thinking 3-5 of each. Which would be overstock obviously, even for a 90, and I plan on a canister filter, protein skimmer, and dual HOB filters. Might even do a sump if necessary.
Definitely going to do a hardcore fish less cycle to get this puppy up and running, starting with 4 ppm ammo until cycled, and then slowly increasing that to may e 6 to ensure the BB can handle adding a lot of this stock at the same time to cut down aggression.
Still a ways a from that though!

Word of advice: canister filters are nitrate machines. I'd just stick with the protein skimmer or a very good filter that pumps like 30 gallons per minute.

Good to know. I plan on the tank being heavily planted/rocked for hidey holes, but if canisters PRODUCE nitrates, I might want to stay awY if the plants can't help

Back
Top Bottom