Cichlid/Discus info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um no every fish group is diffrent i have had luck with java moss aswell its a hit or miss.

Local discus breeders usually just use tap water. It's better to have a stable pH that they can adjust to than a fluctuating level trying to lower it. You should be fine with your water's pH level. If you're buying discus locally, ask the breeder what pH they are keeping their discus in. I would go for discus that are kept in the same pH or close as your tap water. That's what I did with mine. My tap's pH is 7.6 and I bought discus that were kept in the same level. I've kept them in the same level for a few months with no problem at all. If you want to lower your pH, I think a CO2 system with a pH controller will work really good. That's what I use now. I set my pH controller to 6.2 and if the pH goes up, CO2 will pump in the tank until its back to 6.2. Plus the pH swings because of the CO2 doesn't hurt the fish. Just don't go over the toxic levels. CO2 is great if you have plants too. Some breeders with bare bottom discus tanks use CO2 to lower pH because to breed, discus prefer lower pH. Good luck.

Last edited:
As I said before, I don't think your current pH is a problem for discus.

Canisters are only nitrate factories if you neglect them, which is true of ANY filter out there.

Skimmers don't work on freshwater, not sure why that was suggested.

Plants could work, but will have to be selected carefully since cichlids like to dig. Most likely you won't get enoguh going to control nitrate on their own. Not to mention all the other bad things that lower water quality and need to be removed with water changes.

I already have my other two FW tanks on a twice weekly PWC schedule, so that honestly won
T be a problem, and I DO have a local LFS that does carry discus, for REALLY reasonable costs... ($50 for 3" or so) and several different varieties.
I will contact them and ask about their water parameters.
What would be a good substrate plant mix then since they like to dog, and I have limited experience with them...
Maybe something ground cover-ish, like java fern, and some moss attached to rocks?
I was planning on a Sand substrate anyways, and not sue elf either white or moon, but thinking a darker just makes everything pop more...

Discus are not like other cichlids that likes to dig. My tank is heavily planted and I've never had a problem with plants getting uprooted. Any substrate should be fine. I've seen a lot of discus tank with a sand substrate.

I already have my other two FW tanks on a twice weekly PWC schedule, so that honestly won
T be a problem, and I DO have a local LFS that does carry discus, for REALLY reasonable costs... ($50 for 3" or so) and several different varieties.
I will contact them and ask about their water parameters.
What would be a good substrate plant mix then since they like to dog, and I have limited experience with them...
Maybe something ground cover-ish, like java fern, and some moss attached to rocks?
I was planning on a Sand substrate anyways, and not sue elf either white or moon, but thinking a darker just makes everything pop more...

Are you talking about the African cichlids or the discus?

HalfMoon B said:

Okay, sorry I keep getting confused because last time we were talking about African cichlids and plants and now we're talking about substrate for discus...
Sand works pretty well, especially if you're going to keep cories species.

If you're looking for plants native to the Amazon, here's a couple:
Amazon swords in the background
Water milfoil in various places in front of or between the swords
Hair grass and Pygmy chain sword plants in the foreground
Boxwood is good

And those are basically what I am looking at. I will need to look around and see if I can find black PFS anywhere around here.

Much cheaper than fish store sand, and just as good if you get the right size and clean it VERY well before it goes in the aquarium...

Vacuum it really well a few days in a row and then remove the gravel, then add the sand.

Well, according to the LFS/breeder they keep their discus in the following parameters:
neutral (7.0) pH, 6.0 kh and temp at about 82 degrees

My tap water is 7.2 unaltered pH and the same kh.
Seems like I might be able to keep a discuss tank soon!
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom