Cichlid fry with Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

First off, just so you know what we're dealing with here, I've got a 55 gallon cichlid tank (all mbuna from what I can tell... store sold them as "assorted cichlid" and many of them are too small to see any difference) and a 20 gallon planted tank that I just started up about 10 days ago that's a shrimp tank in progress (right now I only have 5 RCS's in there, will get more and hopefully they'll breed too).

Thing is, I have a holding female and she's pretty much ready to spit 'em, but I don't have a grow-out tank for the cichlid fry, and my holding female is only in a small diy breeding container I made.

So, with this in mind, my question to you guys is would it be alright to use the shrimp tank as the grow-out tank for the cichlid fry? The plants in there are pretty hardy so I'm not worried about those, and the shrimp should be too big to eat until the cichlids would reach about 1.5" to 2", at which point I'd move them to my main tank.

I've got a HOB filter in the 20 gallon with pantyhose over the intake, and an airstone as well (no CO2 and barely any ferts). I'd need to still get a heater for them as I didn't get one for the shrimp.

So yeah, good idea, or bad idea?

TL;DR : Is it okay to keep mbuna fry in a 20 gallon tank with a few red cherry shrimps?

Thanks ahead for all your awesomeness! (y)

:)

The shrimp will become food, it's also very likely they could get bloat and die from all the protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The cichlid fry would really attempt to eat a cherry shrimp that's pretty much the same size as it?

For some reason I find that hard to believe

They will harass and pick at the shrimp. Just the shock can kill them. And some fish will keep picking till they get the prey into pieces.

Why not just set up a Rubbermaid container as a holding tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom