Cichlid newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Research research research. Have at least a 4' tank, preferably a 6'. Make sure you have plenty of rock work. Stocking ratios are very important as well.

Thanks p cock I have been reading up about them but was looking do's and don't from experienced Malawi Cichlid keepers .. IMO experience is better that theory !! :)

There's lots of do's and dont's but you need to more specific with your questions, I'm not going to type my 20 years of experience with these fish.

Lol aw why not lol
well I thinking of 4 yellow labs,1 zebra,2 white albinos,2 female peacocks,1 orange blotch peacock,1 blue moorii,2 damonsi,1 lombardi,1 firefish peacock,1 blue hop,1 firemouth,1 trophious debosi... Any special requirements ?? Best food ?? Good ideas for tunnels or hide e holes ??

Don't stock mbuna with peacocks and haps for starters. These can be aggressive fish which can injure or kill easily. Stocking plans and research is critical for long term success.

Allot of it depends on tank size,

-What size tank will you be getting?

-For stock pick 3-5 of your favorite species and then post what you like. Then maembers can help guide you from there.

-You are going to want 1-2 males for every 5-7 females.

- Peacocks, Mbuna and Haps shouldn't be mixed keep that in mind when picking fish.

Mogurako said:
Allot of it depends on tank size,

-What size tank will you be getting?

-For stock pick 3-5 of your favorite species and then post what you like. Then maembers can help guide you from there.

-You are going to want 1-2 males for every 5-7 females.

- Peacocks, Mbuna and Haps shouldn't be mixed keep that in mind when picking fish.

Thanks I like all the ones I listed above lol far to may to pick from ,,, like a kid in a sweet shop hahaha.... it is a 4ft tank :)

In a 4ft tank of 55-75g I would pick either mbuna or peacocks. If your choosing mbuna then I would stick with three or four species of fish, stocked with 1m/4f ratio. When choosing peacocks a choice to whether your going to have females or a all male tank. I prefer all males obviously for color reasons but this involves returning alot of fish or spending the money for larger sexable fish.

240l think tats 63us g ??

Yeah I really love the bright colours 2 :) aw I think I may have to get another tank one for mbuna and one for peacocks lol

donna541 said:
240l think tats 63us g ??

Yeah I really love the bright colours 2 :) aw I think I may have to get another tank one for mbuna and one for peacocks lol

Yea that's 63 gallons, if you're going with Mbuna I would go with the smaller species that get 3-5 inches. Probably 3 species with about 1 male and 4 -5 females and about 5 of the smaller african catfish.

Thanks I will keep looking into it .. I thought its always nice to ask the advice of u experienced keepers than to just storm ahead and do something silly /-)

donna541 said:
Thanks I will keep looking into it .. I thought its always nice to ask the advice of u experienced keepers than to just storm ahead and do something silly /-)

Fell free to ask questions, HUKIT is also a great resource. He know all there is to know about angry fish.

Back
Top Bottom