Cichlid Tank Stocking Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't put kenyis in a 30G. Like most cichlids, they get fairly large, 4-5in. Which I wouldn't put any cichlid in less then a 55 unless they are dwarf cichlids.

IME, Kenyi in a 30 gallon, even a 30 gallon long will kill each other off in a very short time. They are hard to keep even in a 100 gallon long tank.

Agreed, kenyi will not work in a 30 gal. Your other thread has lots of good ideas for cichlids that will work in a 30 gal.

I'm interested to see what others think about the Saulosi. I think you could have 1 male and 4-5 females in a 30g. I wouldn't have more than that though. Make sure you have alot of rock for them to hide in.

Even though auratus only get around 4in, one of them requires a 26G min, they need swimming room and are very very aggresive compared to other cichlids. I do not suggest putting these in a 30G, well one maybe, but thats it.

Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I've failed three times trying to keep a group of juvinile Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 30 gallon long tank. Every time, I ended up with only a single male. Now granted, I didn't buy them sexed and try 1 male and 3 to 4 females specifically, but I did start with a larger group of juviniles than 5 all three times. Just my $.02 worth

Back
Top Bottom