Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes and no. it all depends on their personalities!!
for example the wierd mixes iv had:

- pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi (dwarf, maxes at 4in) and red zebra (bigger, maxes at 6in)
- juvie red zebra and auratus (1.5 in each) and oscars (5in at time)
- buffalo head cichlid (dwarf, maxes at 4in) and red/OB/cobalt zebras (bigger, maxes at 6in)
- dwarf flag cichlid (dwarf, maxes at 3in) and oscar (bigger, usual at 12in) = i have these two happily mixed together right now (flags 1in oscars 5 & 6in)

iv also had two short-finned Bettas attempt to spawn while living in an mbuna tank.
seriously if u have nice personalitied fish u can do anything :L u just have to find the sweet ones in a bunch then put the dwarves in, but provide plenty of protection.

i dont recommend mixing countries. that can go very wrong. but keep the fish fairly similar or know what u r doing with the fish and ur ok.

what fish were u looking at? xxxx

I agree that it really does depend on the individual fish. In general, I would say that its not typically a good idea, but it depends on the specifics.
Keep in mind that a lot of tempermant issues in cichlids won't some out until the fish is sexually mature (or close to it), so sometimes smaller fish can be mixed but then it go v ery wrong once they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom