Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know I want to get some cichlids, maybe a pair of yellow labs... But I don't really know which cichlids can be in the same tank. Can anyone give me ideas of different kinds of cichlids that are compatible with each other and can live in the same environment? Thanks :)

55 gallons most likely, but possibly 45. I really like electric blue cichlids... Would the two work in the same tank?

I know I want to get some cichlids, maybe a pair of yellow labs... But I don't really know which cichlids can be in the same tank. Can anyone give me ideas of different kinds of cichlids that are compatible with each other and can live in the same environment? Thanks :)

What size tank? Also this article written by one of the members here should shed some light.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

EDIT: I see the question if what size tank was answered.

Thanks :) I read the article which helped a lot. I was wondering though, can you mix cichlids from different areas, or do you have to stick with one? And what are some really good tank mates for yellow labs?

It's also a little trial and error all fish have diffrent personalities

I have to respectfully disagree here, there are proper ways to stock a tank. TRUST me I know. I went with whatever I wanted and figured "lemme just see of it will work" well... I had to break my tank down twice to re home some nasty fish that were beating up or bullying the others. Then I had one fish become hyper dominate and decided to claim the entire tank and kill 20 fish in two weeks!

Trail and error? I'm now sure you wanna go that route. I know I have a tank with a mix of everything BUT... Anyone that know me here will tell you the problems and headaches I had. I say figure out a stock that will work with a good male to female ratio or a male only tank etc. don't just add fish and see what happens because you may not enjoy what happens.

Your correct that fish have different personalities and that's all the more reason to find which species go with what or should I say what may work better then others.

Just my 2 cents coming from some guy with a 75 gallon "mixed African cichlid tank of misfits"

Yes yes yes I completely agree I didn't mean just add whatever and hope for the best lol. I should have explained more and I apologize to the OP for that. But you are right in what you say I've been through the headaches myself.

Just as an example I have a 5" bumblebee and he is the most laid back fish that I have but that's not the case with all of them

All I meant by trial and error is that you can get a fish that is "friendly" and turn out to be a kamikaze fish

Thanks :) I read the article which helped a lot. I was wondering though, can you mix cichlids from different areas, or do you have to stick with one? And what are some really good tank mates for yellow labs?

Cichlids from different areas required different pH, hardness etc. the article pretty much explains how Mbuna's like rocks and caves etc, there rock dwellers. Other cichlids like open space to swim around. If you look on YouTube, look up peacock setups, mbuna setups etc etc. you'll get an idea.

Here's my mixed tank. I know I sound like a hypocrite but I've learned ALOT in this hobby on what NOT to do so I can offer up ALOT based on my mistakes.

http://youtu.be/Ux647I16p0Y

Yes yes yes I completely agree I didn't mean just add whatever and hope for the best lol. I should have explained more and I apologize to the OP for that. But you are right in what you say I've been through the headaches myself.

Just as an example I have a 5" bumblebee and he is the most laid back fish that I have but that's not the case with all of them

All I meant by trial and error is that you can get a fish that is "friendly" and turn out to be a kamikaze fish

Haha ok that makes ALOT more sense :)

Your right as with your bumblebee cichlid that's the one I had to re home he was NASTY!! He went rouge lol.

how about a couple of peacocks? would they work with labs?

Oh, and how many fish that size would you go with in a 55 gallon?

I read that most cichlids like to dig, so I think I will change the substrate to sand instead of gravel. Just in the 55 gallon though. I am going to keep gravel in the 45 because it came with the tank. It looks decent too, just natural colored gravel. I was just wondering, can I use regular play sand? Or do I have to get aquarium sand?

You could go with some OB's, ahli, dragon blood, acei's, sunshine, benga yellow, jacobferibergi, stuartgrangi, eureka red, chipoke, lawanda, red shoulder, bi-colors.

That's just a few off the top of my head. Not all of them are peacocks. Some are haps and other things. Just do research on them and their aggression levels

Some of the more aggressive ones are like bumblebees, auratus, Kenyans others

As for the amount of fish generally is an inch of fish per gallon but with cichlids people tend to overstock because it lessons aggression. In a 55 if you get all your fish at about 1-2 inches you could go with about 15-16.

But you don't want to add them all at the same time as it will throw your ph off

Do you know about cycling the tank and proper ph balances and all of that good stuff

With cichlid substrate you can go with sand most people use pool filter sand you just don't want anything silica based. Also with sand and big rocks on top watch out for land slides and falling rocks. I like the crushed coral for cichlids. They still dig and the coral helps keep their ph high like the cichlids like.

They make crushed coral sugar sized. It's a little big bigger than regular sand and also gives you the ph boost

Thanks :) on my other thread "first ever African cichlid tank" I have a list of the fish I am thinking I might stock with. Maybe you can check it out and tell me what you think about compatibility and the number of fish? :)

Back
Top Bottom