Cichlid that can handle 10 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidbookrev

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Are there any cichlids that can live in a 10 gallon planted tank? I've been thinking I wanted to do a community tank, but I also think it would be cool to get a cichlid (just one) instead. They have so much personality and are very fun to watch.

Thanks
Isaac

Well really most all cichlids grow 4-6in so should not be kept in a 10 gallon permantly. I'm keeping 2 cichlids in a 5 gallon tank, yet they are only an inch long each if that and I have a 60 gallon tank that is ready for them once they get bigger. The bigger cichlids don't mind to be alone, but they are happy in groups, and the smaller ones aswell. That's why it isn't a great idea to keep just one in the 10 gallon.

I know Apisto cichlids normally max out at 3-3 1/2 in long, so you should be able to keep 2 or 3 of them in a 10 gallon, but you really shouldn't. They would fit but they like swimming room, which they wouldn't get in an 1 1/2' tank.

If you want ideas for fish in a 10 gallon planted tank, try to go with a small school of tetras and some dwarf gourmis or something like that. Also since you were only planning on getting one cichlid, you could just get a beautiful betta. They would love to have a 10 gallon to themselves. They have very cool personalities aswell. You can also put some pygmy/dwarf cories in with bettas and that would be a nice littie calming tank.

If you do decide to get some cichlids after the info I have gave you here is a LINK to a lot of info on dwarf cichlids.

If you want to do some ideas I gave you about bettas and cories (would be the better choice since your fish would be happier) here is a couple links on BETTAS and PYGMY CORIES.

Hope this has helped you.

Can you name some specific small apistos? Are there any specific ones to watch out for (get too big, very aggressive, etc)? I looked at some pics, and they look really nice. I know that I will be getting a bigger tank (~30 gallons) in the next year, so I could move it then.

Are apistos plant friendly?

Thanks
Isaac

For a 10 gal you are limited to a couple of dwarf cichlids. There are no africans that can live in a 10 gal happily.

Bavarian Rams and Blue Rams are very calm compared to most cichlids. They only get about 2-3 inches in length and the males are quite vibrant. Look into them.

Apistos are plant safe, they actually prefer planted tank rather then non-planted.

Go to this link I give you, it will have a huge list of spieces that you can check out and see how big they get on average. I would say 2-3 of them that get around 3in max would be fine for a 10G.

For a 10 gal you are limited to a couple of dwarf cichlids. There are no africans that can live in a 10 gal happily.

Technically, that is untrue. You have multi's, which are a shell dweller from Lake Tanganika. You could easily put 8 in there, with alot of room to spare. I just dont know how plants would work for them, since they are shell dwellers. If you got 200 small ( like those super cheap shells at the petstore) and just stacked them atop eachother, they would be set.

I would assume you want to go the Apistogramma Route. I would definatley vouche for either Apistogramma Cacacoudies or Borelli's Apistogramma ( Blue face)

I'm starting a 10g tank of multies. They are supposed to be the smallest species of cichlid and only grow to about an inch and a half (or less). They're perfect for a 10g from what I've been told, but they like to dig around their shells (they're shell dwellers) I was planning to devise a couple planters for the rear corners to keep them from digging up the plants, but I haven't tried it so I have no idea if it will work.

Technically, that is untrue. You have multi's, which are a shell dweller from Lake Tanganika. You could easily put 8 in there, with alot of room to spare. I just dont know how plants would work for them, since they are shell dwellers. If you got 200 small ( like those super cheap shells at the petstore) and just stacked them atop eachother, they would be set.

I'm siding with Zagz on this one. Just because a fish can physically "fit" into a tank doesn't mean that it belongs. Sure, multis may be able to occupy that amount of space, but so could a 10" oscar. You will run into territorial disputes between the multis if you go that route, even if you provide hundreds of shells as suggested. The smallest tank I'd recommend for multis would be a 20L because of the larger footprint compared to a 10g tank.

As far as dwarf cichlids that will work in a 10g tank, you could go with a pair of GBR's. I've kept them in 10g tanks for breeding purposes and they did just fine. I wouldn't recommend any other fish in that tank that are similar to the size of the rams though...not even a BN pleco. It's just not enough room IMO and you'd be better off going with 4-5 ottos for the algea control, or snails and dwarf shrimp.

Apistos could work in a 10g tank but they are harem spawners meaning that a male will rotate and mate between two or more females and you will want at least a 1M : 2F ratio with apistos to reduce aggression as the male will constantly be trying to mate, even if the female is guarding eggs that he fertilized. This may cause a space/territory issue in the tank and I wouldn't really recommend them for this reason.

Kribs would also be another dwarf cichlid to consider.

Back
Top Bottom