Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eny97

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to cichlids and want to know the best ways to take care of them. I don't have one yet but there are some that I would love to have but I'm not entirely sure what all I need to do to keep them happy

Delivered via peliper

You will need to decide if you want Africans or sa/CA's first then pick a s certain fish you like and work around that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mike is right, cichlids describes thousands of fish. What size tank are you going to be using? This is dictate what species of cichlids you'll be able house. Then we can help with some suggestions.

I would like to get ones more on the peaceful side or slower moving ones, similar to an oscar but smaller

Delivered via peliper

I would do a google search for dwarf cichlids and see what you like. Then post back here what you are interested in.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

German ram and the five bar cichlid

Delivered via peliper

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418784991.741469.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418784991.741469.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 70
German ram isn't good for new tank or new fish keepers. Five bar are awesome looking fish but highly aggressive. Almost all cichlids are aggressive you just have to know how to keep them and what you want to keep them with. Almost all my tanks have cichlids with very little aggression in the tank because of what I keep together.

First decide do you want a community or a solo "wet pet". With the tank size you have stated you are probably looking at a solo wet pet with some dithers (cheaper schooling fish) or small group of smaller dwarf cichlids. If you want a cichlid community you may want to go with a bigger tank. you

here are some suggestions google and let us know what you think.

Blue Acara
Electric Blue acara
Convict
Honduran Red point
Rainbow Cichlids
Firemouth
Bolivian Ram

Back
Top Bottom