Cichlids and gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidguy14

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if adding a few gouramis to a cichlid tank would be good or not. Because my cichlids are always hiding and I would like some fish that are out. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or some other kind of fish that might be compatible

What type of cichlids, what type of gouramis are you looking into, and what size tank do you have?

Generally they don't always get along. My FM hated the gouramis I tried, so much so that I had to re-home them. I've seen a few people online have good luck with 3-spots and various CA/SA cichlids though, so like with all other cichlids it varies on the individual personality.

If you have cichlids that like to hide, dither fish will coax them to come out. Larger bodied tetras, barbs, danios, and silver dollars fit that. Again, this really depends on which type of cichlids you have.

I have Africans and I was thinking !maybe a dwarf blue gourami at a red one

And I would like a fish that swims more on the top of the tank instead the bottom

Add more cichlids. I had cichlids that always hid, but when I added more they all would be out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK that helps because I've been thinking about adding more. How many more should I add?

What's your current tank size and what do you have in it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 40 breeder and 3 peacocks 1 orange zebra I think and 1 albino zebra and 1 johannas and a few cleaner fish. I was thinking about adding one or two at the most

Those are Mbuna.

You could prolly do 10-12 smaller peacocks and mbuna with that tank. If you have the filtration and try to stick with males. Someone else will need to pitch in advice if it will be mixed males/females.

OK thanks that helps alot

Ya if go up to 10-12, add peacocks, or smaller haps like Otopharanx lithobates. You may have some problems with the Johanni, but if you added more Mbuna your peacocks would take a beating.

OK so many more peacocks or smaller cichlids i was thinking maybe a serverum

And doesn't more cichlids make them less aggressive?

They'll still be their normal rebel selves. By having more, their aggression is spread out more so a particular few aren't taking the brunt of it.

Severums are very peaceful South American fish, they would get eaten alive!

Overstocking dies help with aggression, it spreads it out, or they just give up on fighting all together, you still get the occasional tussle.

If I were you id add a Otopharanx Lithobates, a Red Top Lwanda, a Masinji, or Sulpher head, some type of red, and an OB.

another way to help with aggression is to pick fish with clearly different features/colors. That way there isn't any breeding aggression, just competition over food.

OK thanks and where would I get all of these fish? And I already have an of should I get another or no?

Severums are very peaceful South American fish, they would get eaten alive!

Overstocking dies help with aggression, it spreads it out, or they just give up on fighting all together, you still get the occasional tussle.

If I were you id add a Otopharanx Lithobates, a Red Top Lwanda, a Masinji, or Sulpher head, some type of red, and an OB.

another way to help with aggression is to pick fish with clearly different features/colors. That way there isn't any breeding aggression, just competition over food.

Severums are actually a semi-aggressive cichlid and would be able to hold their own if not actually bully mbuna due to their size. However, their fins would be nipped uncontrollably. I also do not condone nor advise the mixing of continents, as issues almost always arise.

Back
Top Bottom