Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterflychild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have a problem I just resqued 4 African Cichilds the ower keep them in a small 5 gal tank with nothing in the tank and was about to flush them because he didnt want them any more, I CANT see any animal be tossed like they were nothing so i took then in BUT my problem is i only have a 20 gal with mixed comunity fish in it, ( guppys goldfisg etc. And a 55 gal tank with mixed fish it in. (Angel fish, gourami's, pleco's, yoyo louches and corycats. Will they be ok in with these fish for a little while? i figured they should be ok as most of the fish in the 55 gal or cichilds aswell.

Do you know what type of cichlids they are?

Sounds like a mixture of Africans (Yellow Lab) and S. American maybe (Jewels). All these are going to be too aggressive long term for both of these tanks. I would work on rehoming them ASAP, before they start taking out your fish.

Sounds like a mixture of Africans (Yellow Lab) and S. American maybe (Jewels). All these are going to be too aggressive long term for both of these tanks. I would work on rehoming them ASAP, before they start taking out your fish.
Thats why i took them the guy couldnt find anyone to take them so he was going to flush them. Will they not work in my Cichlid tank if i give them alot of caves. Or could i put my community fish in my 55 gallon tank and put the 3 African cichlids in my 20 gal tank. And if so can i just put them inthe 20 gal as is or do i have to clean the 20 gal first.:facepalm:

Butterflychild said:
Thats why i took them the guy couldnt find anyone to take them so he was going to flush them. Will they not work in my Cichlid tank if i give them alot of caves. Or could i put my community fish in my 55 gallon tank and put the 3 African cichlids in my 20 gal tank. And if so can i just put them inthe 20 gal as is or do i have to clean the 20 gal first.:facepalm:

Temporarily I would move your fish into your 55g and add your rescued African Cichlids to your 20g. Don't reset tank !!
Do a partial WC if you need it.

Give the new fish some rocks, caves, fake plants or you can use Anubias as your live plant. Africans (many) love fresh veggies.

Jewels are African also !
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_cichlid

Yellow Labs aka Electric Yellows
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_yellow_cichlid

They will need a much larger tank. But hopefully you can rehome them or upgrade them soon.

African Cichlids are very aggressive and would kill your other fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom