Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am just wondering how important it is for my cichlids to have circulation in my tank. I have a 3000 l/h power head circulating my water but it stopped working. I managed to get it going again however if it did die on me how crucial is it??
:confused:

kenny69 said:
I am just wondering how important it is for my cichlids to have circulation in my tank. I have a 3000 l/h power head circulating my water but it stopped working. I managed to get it going again however if it did die on me how crucial is it??
:confused:

Hey kenny. From what I've learned here on the subject of circulation is that Mbunas are used to still lake waters so a lot of circulation is not necessary and the surface agitation created by your filters exhaust should suffice. That's all I have for mine and my fish are very healthy.

TankBoss said:
Hey kenny. From what I've learned here on the subject of circulation is that Mbunas are used to still lake waters so a lot of circulation is not necessary and the surface agitation created by your filters exhaust should suffice. That's all I have for mine and my fish are very healthy.

Thanks good to know. :)

I tend to stack from rocks almost all the way to the top with very little room to vacuum behind which is where is run my Powerheads to keep flow behind the piles to blow waste out from settling behind the rocks and fouling water quality.

HUKIT said:
I tend to stack from rocks almost all the way to the top with very little room to vacuum behind which is where is run my Powerheads to keep flow behind the piles to blow waste out from settling behind the rocks and fouling water quality.

I think that's the best reason I can find to have the powerhead going. I don't think it's really for the fishes sake but for water quality sake. I change it's direction every week so I get any areas that don't get moved around much. Cheers.

I use a power head in my 125g only to avoid deadspots. I dont think its a bad idea but if you don't want one I think you'll be fine.

HUKIT said:

This is a great idea. Thanks for solving a problem.

carey said:
I use a power head in my 125g only to avoid deadspots. I dont think its a bad idea but if you don't want one I think you'll be fine.

Yeah I think I will keep it going, for dead spots and i like the look of the water movement on the surface and the gentle movement of the plants. Looks almost tranquil lol.

Back
Top Bottom