Cleaning Brown Algae/Diatoms off of leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumAstro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a novice aquarium owner and I am really enjoying the (typically) non-judgmental advice you veterans give.

I started my planted tank just about a month ago. I have some brown algae growing in the tank and my Zebra Nerite snails do an amazing job on the glass etc. but they are too heavy to sit on some of my leaves like the wisteria, small Anubias, and the Crypt Wendtii hybrid so they are looking pretty spotty although not nearly as bad as some plants I've seen online.
I've read about how great Otos are at wiping out algae but I am already pretty close to topping out the bioload in the tank and I don't want to push it. Should I just be patient and wait out the brown algae as it runs it course, bite the bullet and swap out a few of my fish for an Oto, or buy a couple of tiny snails?

Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to your replies.

I tend to endure the diatom blooms. Make sure the tank isn't running too warm or near sunlight, and cut back on your light cycle an hour or two. Reduce feedings, also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom