cleaning my tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 33g...how often should i clean it?? Right now i clean it once a week

By cleaning do you mean water changes or a total take apart and wash/ clean everything. I do a partial water change on my 55 gallon once a week. I take out about 20 or so gallons (about 40 percent) As far as tearing down the entire tank, I don't think it's needed at all.

What is in your tank?

Generally a weekly water change of about 30-40% is plenty. Making sure to give your substrate a good vacuuming to remove any waste and if you find it needed you can take an algae clothe/scrub to the walls of your tank while you do your change to keep them clean. Take your filter media each change and swish it in old tank water(or conditioned tap water) to help remove any waste you can.

I will also remove my decor as needed and give them a scrub down with a toothbrush in old tank water if i get algae build up. I usually give my filter housing a good brush down every 6 or 8 weeks/as needed too. I pull out the intake/ect and scrub it down like the decor with the brush to keep everything running smoothly.

So long as your tank isn't over stocked a similar set up should work nicely.

Back
Top Bottom