cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah I'm just shocked I've never had a fish tank go from not nitrites to this high over night. That bio spira says you can add it then immediately add fish. There is no way fish would be able to handle this high of a level

yeah I'm just shocked I've never had a fish tank go from not nitrites to this high over night. That bio spira says you can add it then immediately add fish. There is no way fish would be able to handle this high of a level

I've never used bio spira so I'm not sure how it reacts. Patience will tell.

Problem with that stuff is the bacteria in it can work without colonizing on your rocks. Your cycle completes without actually doing what it's supposed to do which is to build up aerobic nitrifying bacteria on your rocks and sand.

I have to buy a new bulb 65 watt 22" long compact bulb should I get a 420 or a 460
The one that was burnt out said 420/460 but I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding one like that but I can find
420 or 460 or a 50/50

He he. Had a little laugh.
Might be a clam somewhere. Or perhaps it's just balanced and a bit tippy.

As for the spira, adding it when there is lots of ammonia means the bacteria would consume it without colonizing. However, again it will seed a proper cycle later on. I'd redose after the ammonia and nitrites are gone and a pwc is done. See how long the second cycle takes. I call an additive cycle a "false cycle". It doesn't indicate what the true bacteria colonization is.

I have used that stuff in freshwater tanks when I was moving every few years. But I don't follow the directions. I would put about 1/2 my gravel in a bucket with just enough water to cover it. Then I'd add the additive and mix it well. An air stone in the bottom and my bio filter screen lying on the top and I'd let it sit for 2-3 days for the bacteria to attach. Then I'd put the gravel in the tank , some deco and water and then start the cycle. Worked great seeding the gravel that way.

If your doing a salt tank with no live sand or rocks, I'd do something similar. If you have live rocks is leave that stuff out and avoid the false cycle.

Ok I got it uploaded sorry about the bad video

http://youtu.be/D-ZHU5Z4PNw

It looks like the rock part is made up of a clam too there is a slit. You can't see it in the video and I have only seen that movement. Really freaked me out I, was looking for little worms then it done that

ok the rock thing on top is a giant clam that I'd kinda upside down and they both close, at the same time. Its like they are all connected

Correction I think they are some form of marine mussels

I watched your video. Looks like your reef is going to keep you entertained! Lol enjoy!

I watched your video. Looks like your reef is going to keep you entertained! Lol enjoy!

It kinda startled me to be honest lol Here I am with a flashlight and my noise against the glass then it done that. I thought I was seeing things lol and I wasnt even drinking

It kinda startled me to be honest lol Here I am with a flashlight and my noise against the glass then it done that. I thought I was seeing things lol and I wasnt even drinking

Lol :-D I would have freaked out too! That's pretty funny.

That's just crazy!! I'd wanna know for sure what that is. Can you take the rock out and get a good look at it?

Back
Top Bottom