Cloudy waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So let me ask, is there a rule of thumb or an equation that I should follow when choosing a size of a tank for large species? Or the amount of stock I keep? Should I get a second tank a split them up? Or one tank sized accordingly?

Aqadvisor.com is a website with a stocking calculator, it is imperfect, but it lets you input you filter(s), tank size, and livestock then takes into account the bioload, temperature requirements, ph requirements, and compatibility of the critters. It will give you a % stocked, filtration %, temperature and ph recommendations and list any red flags. You can play around and change things to see what would work for you.

It's not perfect, only a starting point for research, but valuable information nonetheless.

Very nice! You've been at this a while haven't you!!?? [emoji106] thanks again!

Awesome!! Thank you for your time and effort to help me out!!
No problem. Its my ultimate solution. I tried cleaning chemicals, and another filter but finally settled of UV. Now I don't add any water clarifier or any other thing.

However there is a life of UV lights. If your model has replacing options then its good that u will only need to replace lights after like six or eight months. Otherwise need to replace the whole unit. If its on 24/7 then I think after six months or seven months u need to change because the UV lights lose there efficiency with time.

Cool, found a nice sun sun for about 30$! Thanks for heads up on bulb!! I'll check on that before I order

I don't know if everyone was present or has read the conversation about the tiny nail that was in my tank after purchasing some larger mystery! One of the three nails that I had purchased was presumed dead because the larger shell was empty. The next day my wife noticed a teeny tiny snail in the tank! This email disappeared for somewhere around a week now, and it was assumed that he had become lunch! I was leaving for work this morning flipped on the light for a quick clarity check! LOL! And here he is! Should I be concerned about this species of snail over populating my tank?????[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Nail = email = snail :)
That is a ramshorn snail. If you are overfeeding their numbers can increase. However, goldfish usually do a pretty good job at finding and eating any extra food and they might fight the baby snails tasty as well.

IMG_7004.jpg

This is what the other looks like! Hopefully cutting back on feeding, the ramshell won't reproduce

They will reproduce. But wont be an issue. Might find they are harder workers and more of an asset than the nerite

Lol!! Eventually. He's about 6" he kept photo bombing me when I was zoomed in on [emoji222]!! He's not as big as that pic makes him look!

Back
Top Bottom