Clown Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tee78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
From the Chicago Burbs, stationed in Okinawa, Japa
I bought a pair of clowns 7 days ago. They seemed very happy, but they just didn't want to eat. I tried all different types of frozen foods, live foods, flakes, and pellets. I even tried the same food the store has. These guys just didn't want to eat. I wake up this morning, and the smallest of the pair is being eaten by my coral banded shrimp. I think the bigger one is getting ready to go, too. My water parameters are good, and I did a water change 2 days ago. The pair were caught in the wild. They weren't tank bred. I'm stationed in Japan, and where I'm at they don't sell tank-bred clowns. I wish they would, since they are more hardy.

Sorry for your loss. Are these cyanide caught fish? Did you have the fish store feed the fish so you can see them eat before purchasing them? Good luck with your remaining clown. I hope he comes around for you.

No. That's a mistake I'll never make again. I did use the same food, that they said they feed them, plus the tons of other different foods. Nothing seems to work. I tested for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites for 2 days. All at 0. I don't think it's the water, because all my inverts, are all happy. I acclimated the fish using the drip method. They were very active, and swimming around together all over the tank, until the 7th day. I guess I won't be able to keep clowns.

It's not that you want be able to keep them . Just make sure that the LFS guy feeds any fish you intend to buy while you watch...be it a clown, angel, butterfly, whatever. Fish can live for a couple of weeks after being poisoned & caught. Their digestive system is tore up & they starve. I'm not saying these fish were caught with poison, but it still happens.

I'm stationed currently at Okinawa, Japan. This island is full of beautiful reefs. I think the store I buy from gets most of their fish from the reefs here. The store has a pretty good reputation, being one of the only stores, that sell SW fish. I'll make sure I watch the fish eat though, before I buy. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom