Clown Loach Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys, right I have a problem that I need advice on.
I went into the other fish shop near me Pets at Home and looking around for a couple of bottom feeders to balance out the tank (my own mind thinking) and came across the Clown Loaches and said about having them, the girl in the shop said yes even with me telling her about the size of my tank etc (90 litres, 20 gallon), since then I have looked into them and realised how big they will get and how quick that could be, so I am really concerned about them and what to do, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards
Sam.

I know they grow really slow after they reach 13cm.... When they grow to full size (12") they need a tank at Least 50 gallons.

Hi Sam, Clownfish is right, clown loach should be kept in a big tank from day 1, they won't grow and thrive in a 20g tank. it would be like you living in a small closet.

Pete

Hi Sam, Clownfish is right, clown loach should be kept in a big tank from day 1, they won't grow and thrive in a 20g tank. it would be like you living in a small closet.

Pete

If you see my flat it is like me living in a closet :)

What would be your advice be for me to do?

Take them back to the store, politely inform the management that you received bad advice. Then look into cories or smaller loaches. JMO

Take them back to the store, politely inform the management that you received bad advice. Then look into cories or smaller loaches. JMO

I think your right, I have had them for bout 8 days so will get in touch and see what they say.

I will have a look at Cories, I just hope the shop will take them back, it's been about 8 days now, just a bit concerned about getting them back, think I need to take a sample of my water to them before they will take them.
What can I do if they won't take them back?

Then i would try taking them to another pet store and giving them away, But if the people their have feelings they should give you at least half store credit since you were misinformed.

I have now spoken to the shop and they guy said bring them back and they'll sort it out, got to take water sample with me (which will be in the bag with the fish) so they can check the water to make sure it's ok but as I said the tank is to small for the type of fish when they grow and it's only fair on the fish to be kept in the proper environment and he agreed. So now have to try and get them out of my tank which should be fun! :)

Then will go to the other Garden centre whose aquatic centre is much better, the guy I speak to there actually gives me reasons for doing and not doing things and has already stopped me from buying certain fish as they wouldn't be right. I have got everything else from this place but felt like trying out the other shop (where the Loaches come from) and now know not to do that again.

You may want to take a seperate sample besides the water with the fish. The water with the fish will get polluted and may give the shop a false impression of the true parameters of your tank.

You may want to take a seperate sample besides the water with the fish. The water with the fish will get polluted and may give the shop a false impression of the true parameters of your tank.

Very good point, thanks for that, I will do.
I did a test the other day and it came out as:

Amonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 - 10
PH: 8

So I don't hink there is anything drastically wrong with my water.

they may complain about the ammonia. i would do a pwc before taking in a sample. Just to be safe

Looking back on events in my time keeping fish, I did not have very many good experiences with my LFS testing my water for me. There was only one person thier who had any clue what they were doing.

The Loaches were returned safe and sound Friday evening, guy at the shop agreed and said I shouldn't of been sold them and they took them back no problem, didn't want to test the water either, but I did a test before I got the fish out and it was pretty much spot on: amonia: 0 - 0.25, Nitrite: 0 and Nitrate: 0 - 5. So now going to give it a week and go to the other garden centre and speak to them about which fish to get and get some decent advice :)

I have exactly the same problem - i have a 90 letre (20 gallon) tank and was informed they grew to about 4 inches by the pet shop assistant! #

The problem i have is that although i've had them for 9 days, they now have developed white spot!! so won't be able to take them back until it's cleared up!! disaster!

I have exactly the same problem - i have a 90 letre (20 gallon) tank and was informed they grew to about 4 inches by the pet shop assistant! #

The problem i have is that although i've had them for 9 days, they now have developed white spot!! so won't be able to take them back until it's cleared up!! disaster!

I was worried that they would grow even bigger than that, but luckily got mine back ok with no problems (well none I could see anyways) It's not right really, the shop assistants should know what fish you can have when you tell them the size etc, lets hope they clear up and you can take them back mate.

Back
Top Bottom