co2 Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know nothing about co2 at all, I'm starting a new 40 gallon really soon and its going to have 78 watts of t5 ho light. I've heard you don't need co2 with that lighting and I've also read that you do need c02 with that setup. Can someone clarify this and give me a clearer answer?

Also, if I needed co2, could it be as simple as this diy co2 in this video? CO2 for the first time. - YouTube

I'm not really interested in spending $300 + on co2

If you spend $300 or more on a co2 setup, you're wasting money. You can get everything you need for less than $200.

IMO, that's borderline for co2. You can do it without, but it's hard. I had co2 in my 40 breeder and it was a challenge to keep BBA away... now that I've changed a few things and with a little luck, I'm not running co2 anymore. So... you can do it, but it's best if you do inject co2

If your fixture is any kind of quality at all, and you're not hanging your fixture (or making other adjustments, ie mesh), I would say you definitely need CO2, especially if that's a 40 Breeder.

DIY CO2 is suboptimal on tanks larger than 29g.

I guess I'm partial to the pink bulbs, I've got a Giesseman (or however it's spelled) aquaflora in each fixture. FWIW, I've been running 4x39w on my 40 breeder for the last 3 months with no algae issues. It's funny, since 2x39w was causing BBA like crazy.

Thank you! That link helped.

What maintenance would I have to do on a co2 system? And how long would a say...5 lb tank last me?

Maintenance? None really. If you use oil in the bubble counter, it won't evaporate. It's hard to say how long it'll last. That depends on how much you use. How much you use is determined by how efficient your diffuser is, how much you're offgassing, how much you're injecting... lots of variables. I think mine lasted about 3-4 months before it needed a refill.

Thats usually best. You can use a cheapo timer for that.

mfdrookie516 said:
I guess I'm partial to the pink bulbs, I've got a Giesseman (or however it's spelled) aquaflora in each fixture. FWIW, I've been running 4x39w on my 40 breeder for the last 3 months with no algae issues. It's funny, since 2x39w was causing BBA like crazy.

What brands of fixtures?

The reflector can make a huge difference in radiant energy efficiency. I'm not sure about novas, but I think their slr fixtures area actually pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about my other options, and if I went the diy route, id take one or two 2 liter bottles, use a jar for a bubble counter. But I'm not sure what to us as a diffuser. Could I hook up like one of those glass diffusers to a diy setup?

But there's no way to turn the co2 off at night. What happens if the co2 is on at night with no light?

I've got Nova Extremes and Fishneedit fixtures. The 40b has fishneedit fixtures. They're individual reflectors... not parabolic or anything fancy, but definitely point the light down. I'd be interested in a side by side par comparison with a FNI and big name like Current.

mfdrookie516 said:
I've got Nova Extremes and Fishneedit fixtures. The 40b has fishneedit fixtures. They're individual reflectors... not parabolic or anything fancy, but definitely point the light down. I'd be interested in a side by side par comparison with a FNI and big name like Current.

How are the fishneedit fixtures? I was considering one, but it was only ten bucks less than the name brand fixture so I think I'm going with the name brand fixture

I like them more than my Nova Extremes... they have remote ballasts and the legs seem to be more secure than on the Nova's. The bulbs are also easier to change, and the remote ballasts make it much lighter. If I had a million dollar budget, I'd still go with them.

Maybe I should reconsider then, I also like how you can pick which bulbs you want. Are the bulbs that it comes with junky?

Could someone tell me what I would need for pressurized co2 and where I could find it all for a decent price?

Or what is I just dosed excel everyday?

Maybe I should reconsider then, I also like how you can pick which bulbs you want. Are the bulbs that it comes with junky?
Like most fixtures, it doesn't come with great bulbs. They aren't 'junky', but they aren't high quality bulbs. Only the high end fixtures come with high end bulbs

Could someone tell me what I would need for pressurized co2 and where I could find it all for a decent price?

That link I posted should tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks for your help!

Okay, got a few more questions.
I was thinking about diy co2 and how I could do it. I thought I would get a two liter bottle, hook a hose up to a smaller jar filled with water and use that as a bubble counter, then run another hose from the jar to the tank.

But I need a diffuser, any ideas what kind? And there would be no way to turn it off at night. Is this a huge problem?

Anyone do diy co2 that can help?

I've only tried DIY one, and it was a disaster. I have nothing against it, it's just not stable. You're constantly having to change it out, and you can't shut it off like you can pressurized. The fluctuation in co2 can lead to some big BBA issues, and on a 40g tank, that'll be hard to prevent without running several generators IMO. You can do it, but it's going to be a lot more work than pressurized.

Back
Top Bottom