Co2 in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't find decent info on this, here is my sump, it's filled now of course. I have a 5 # co2 tank and a plastic diffuser. I'd like to Put the co2 in the sump for maintenance purposes and to keep it out of sight. What's the best way to do this? I know that some co2 will be lost this way but hopefully it's minimal.

Attachments

• image-4063380788.jpg
    image-4063380788.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 105
Here is the diffuser I have, I also have a regulator on the tank

Attachments

• image-268919089.jpg
    image-268919089.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 381
The only concern I would have would be the loss of CO2 before it reaches the tank, going through the hoses, especially if there's any surface agitation, etc. I personally wouldn't do CO2 in a sump, as I don't know a lot about sumps.

The only concern I would have would be the loss of CO2 before it reaches the tank, going through the hoses, especially if there's any surface agitation, etc. I personally wouldn't do CO2 in a sump, as I don't know a lot about sumps.

There isn't any surface agitation in the sump, I actually had to put an air stone in it because the was no surface agitation. I'd put it in the main tank but I heard your supposed to put it under the power heads which is right in the middle of the tank and yuck eye sore!

It doesn't matter about surface agitation in the sump, where it affects CO2 is in the main tank. If you used a CO2 bubbler so that the fine bubbles get sucked out of the sump and back to the tank, you won't have anything for the CO2 in the tank, it will be in the sump. And the pump will help dissolve the CO2 into the water as it goes through the pump and on up to the tank. The agitation I was talking about is the output from the sump, some people use spraybars at the surface of the tank that creates a lot of agitation. If your output from the sump doesn't create surface agitation in the main tank, would be fine.

Right, as long as the co2 is diffused into the water and there isn't much agitation it should still be in there when it goes into the main tank. Here's how you can measure it, put a drop checker in the main tank at the furthest point from the return line.

There's no surface agitation In the main tank, it actually worries me so I have an air curtain because I worry they are not getting any. So will the diffuser I bought work in the sump? Can I have an air curtain going if I have the co2 going?

What do you mean by air curtain, and where is it? You can't have any air bubblers going if you are trying to inject CO2.

Well when I have the co2 on I will turn it off and then on at night when the co2 is off

Dizzydea said:
Well when I have the co2 on I will turn it off and then on at night when the co2 is off

be careful with this approach as I've heard it can cause ph swings, just check ph @ 2 hrs after lights out to make sure it's not changing to much

as for co2 delivery from a sump I put a piece of hosing on the front of my return pump and ran the co2 line in like a venturi, by the time the water makes it to the main tank the co2 is pretty fully disolved

I don't know if it would work, never messed with sumps, but I'd assume on the return line you could put something like an inline diffuser in the pipe.

be careful with this approach as I've heard it can cause ph swings, just check ph @ 2 hrs after lights out to make sure it's not changing to much

as for co2 delivery from a sump I put a piece of hosing on the front of my return pump and ran the co2 line in like a venturi, by the time the water makes it to the main tank the co2 is pretty fully disolved

Well I don't know what a venturi is, but I think what your saying is to rig it up so it's feeding directly to the pump, fully dissolved is what I'm looking for right? Lol can you tell I'm new to co2. There is an air stone type diffuser is that what I need rather than the one I have?

Dizzydea said:
Well I don't know what a venturi is, but I think what your saying is to rig it up so it's feeding directly to the pump, fully dissolved is what I'm looking for right? Lol can you tell I'm new to co2. There is an air stone type diffuser is that what I need rather than the one I have?

ok these are the best images I could find quickly on google but I think they'll give you a pretty clear idea of what a venturi is

Attachments

• image-2224677407.jpg
    image-2224677407.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1003277763.jpg
    image-1003277763.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 56

Yes, that is what is needed, to fully dissolve. Instead of the venture, what I had mentioned earlier is to run the CO2 through a bubble stone, one that gives off a fine mist of CO2 bubbles, and place it at the intake to the pump that returns the water to the main tank. Basically the same as the venturi.

So I need to buy a new diffuser is what it boils down to. The venturi I can't seem to find anywhere so it will have to be the air stone type

Dizzydea said:
So I need to buy a new diffuser is what it boils down to. The venturi I can't seem to find anywhere so it will have to be the air stone type

the venturi I have was made from a piece of 1 1/8" hose from lowes that I drilled a hole in and inserted my co2 line into, pretty easy

This is my pump, it has about a 2" opening I'm not sure I could find the right size of hose

Attachments

• image-1146812640.jpg
    image-1146812640.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 50
Dizzydea said:
This is my pump, it has about a 2" opening I'm not sure I could find the right size of hose

you could just fit a piece of PVC pipe into the threaded bushing on the pumps intake drill an appropriate sized hole, cut your co2 line on an angle / and you should be set, if your feeling more creative you could consider building your own PVC co2 reactor by taking a lenght of PVC pipe and plumbing fixtures, there should be some instructions or threads in the DIY section here

Well I ordered the stone last night, if I'm unsatisfied with the results, I will try the manbeast approach.

Back
Top Bottom