CO2 loss in bubble counters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any (measurable) CO2 loss when using a bubble counter? (my solenoid does not have one, so I bought an Aqua Medic unit, http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=230). I'm using a pH controller, so should I hook up the bubble counter or not? I like being able to see that CO2 is running, but don't know if there is a loss in the amount of CO2 that makes it to the tank versus not using the counter.

What do you guys think?

Tom

I wouldn't expect there to be a notable loss of CO2, unless the bubble counter has been hooked up improperly causing a leak.

Thanks for the reply. I was assuming correct hook up. My suspision was about process of adding one more step ("middleman"). Also, I didn't know if the plastic parts "leak" CO2 considering you can't use just any type of hose (I have CO2-proof hosing).

Nope, there won't be any noticeable loss of CO2 when using a bubble counter. If you're using water as your counter liquid, some CO2 will dissolve in the water until it's saturated, that's it. And since it's not even an ounce of liquid, it's negligible.

Back
Top Bottom