Co2 Tank Size Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just rented a 20lb tank today from the local hardware store, but it is about half the size of the 10lb tanks I see at my work. Does the size mean anything, or is it all about the psi capacity? I hope I didn't get screwed with a 5lb bottle when I paid for 20!

The 10lb you see at work are the same size as mine.

It could be the tank is more full of liquid, but that's doubtful.

How wide is the cylinder? Mine is 7" in diameter. it could be yours is wider, but I doubt it's 14" in diameter.. sounds like you got a 5lb.

Also, the PSI of Co2 is dependent on temperature, @ room temperature the pressure is at most 950PSI, When the guage starts dropping then it's time to get a refill. Co2 is stored in a tank as liquid, it boils and produces the gas, the liquid pressure of Co2 is 850PSI, so if you use effectively 10PSI then some liquid will boil to produce an additional 10PSI of pressure, when there is no liquid left to boil, the pressure will drop. The guage is only useful at this point.

Steel cylinders are smaller than aluminum cylinders of the same capacity. Perhaps you got a steel cylinder? Regardless, it should be stamped with the capacity.

You could always weigh the tank, vent its contents, and weigh it again to determine how much CO2 it used to contain, but I think CG's idea is a much better one :p

Back
Top Bottom