coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah my 125 goes thru prob 5-6 gallons a week due to evap

a normal week for me is 10 gallons, my total water volume is approx 125 gallons, during the summer i was battling a dino outbreak and trying to keep my ph high, the only was i could do that was to run a box fan over the 36 and was using a kalk stirrer for makeup to keep my ph around 8.4. I was using 5 gallons a day.

td, glad you wrote. ment to tell you my skimmer you recommended is broken in and running well. thanks for the tip and saving me 200$

i think for total volume im running close to 70 gallons. im really liking my 40 breeder dt and sump.

i may try to do a full on "herbie ultra silent overflow" by adding a gate valve to one of my drain lines this weekend. right now im relying heavily on my durso standpipe i made.

mr_X, if your listening or anyone that has experience. with the glass top installed, will that hinder my growing everything with only 4 t5 ho bulbs. or does having glass not matter?

Glass blocks somewhere between 3%-15ish% depending on thickness and tint...the real problem is when they start getting dirty...

thanks brent. man i really need to start reading about and understanding lighting requirements and what hinders or helps it.

i think there are very few who actually understand it... even if you do get your par numbers ive tried finding par requirements for corals and that info is pretty sparse as well...

Well I can swing for a 6bulb if I have to. Thank god for 36". But if I buy a 4bulb getting the extra two latter is harder on me. 11" of water. Four should still be plenty even passing through glass. Got up this morning. 2 cups of evap in 6 hours. I can live with that vs gallons.

Im caught up on mr_X's build. Alot of good ideas. Like not using my return pump for as much flow and the possibilities of having a room to house all the equipment. I like DIY. It's something to be proud of. But my DIY has never looked as clean as off the shelf. The room could hide that.

I built my stand for this tank and sump. May not look it but it did have some thought put into it. Probably the best thing I did where the feet. Even full of water I can re-level the whole set up with just a 3/4 wrench. It is an exposed sump so im glad the plumbing looks clean and I didn't spluge silicone everywhere. It's been running for a week and some change now. If I get mangroves should I be concerned with toxic gas releasing into my water from the 5" dsb in the sump when I "plant" them?

I've already mentioned the sc150, bubble magus cone clone, skimmer is broken in and working like a champ.

Two fish 4 snails and 3? hermit crabs. I need to stock this thing.

Also I wish you could see the rock work in person. Anyone that has followed my fumbling tank builds knows I can't leave it alone. This time I think I have something. Depth and dimension just screaming for active fish.

I should probable post some pictures of the other 40 breeder tank somewhere ( it's our new 75). We now have 2 fish and an urchin to rehome . One spot and the wrasse both need more room. The urchin is eating all of her coralline

Kio707 said:
Mangroves are fine. You can see mine have leaves in the video.

Yeah I just didn't want to sink them into the substrate and release any nasty gases. Ha. It's only been a week. Probably not even a concern this early in the game

Sweety pie works with a guy that said he would take the one spot. The wrasse may have a home too. you could probably get one cheaper locally. If she doesn't have a home for him, all I would ask is cost of shipping.

I know we didn't pay as much as shipping would be.

Yeah. Just put it in a thick bag with air locked in it, pack it in newspaper or similar stuff so it doesn't move around. couple of heat packs and overnight it. Just let me know... zip is 80911. Also, got a pic of it?

I have my mangroves in a breeder box in my refugium. I've raised em from pods with no roots or leaves and they have done great. My refugium is just too deep to put them in the dsb there. Perhaps when they are bigger in roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom