Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my top 3:

1. Buy a python
2. Buy a python
3. If you know there is absolutely no way you will ever want a pleco, do not, under any circumstances ever even think about broaching the subject with jchillin.

Just bought a Python! I see now why it was a mistake NOT having one! phew! I learned my lesson! No more back aches!

I know a huge problem is people not knowing what fish go together, how many fish for their aquarium etc, but I found a site that helps a lot with this.

I'm not sure if it has been talked about in here and sorry if it has, but Aqadvisor.com is a great resource for newbies such as myself. It is a great way to figure out what fish you can put in your aquarium, how many fish, water conditions for the fish, filtration and more. It is a more reliable resource to figure out what fish to get then the employee at the lfs. I really enjoyed figuring things out using that site, and thought it could be helpful for others.

missie said:
Just bought a Python! I see now why it was a mistake NOT having one! phew! I learned my lesson! No more back aches!

I still don't know what a python is :( the previous link someone posted doesn't work. Anyone else have a link?

Pythons don't fit my faucet. Nor do the adapters they sell at Petco.

Any other ideas?

I actually like going to the gym and lifting heavy, so the old-school bucket method doesn't bother me terribly, but there's something to be said for convenience ;)

this isnt really a problem, but it is something that newbies need to know. websites like craigslist can be a great alternative to the fish store. it is mich cheaper than the store, and there are always great deals, unlike most fish stores.

Educate Yourself!!

As a newbie, my advice is to buy, read, read and read again "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" Second Edition by David E. Boruchowitz. Once, I realized I was really interested in having an aquarium it was very important to me to start off knowing something in the written word by a professional. This book is PERFECT for newbies, like myself. Explains everything in understandable terms. I bought the book and have followed Mr. Boruchowitz advice and I can tell you that 8 weeks into this, we have only lost 1 fish- a long tail zebra danio. My water is crystal clear, my ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 and nitrates less than 20. My tank is beautiful and most importantly I believe my fish are happy and healthy.
With "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" as my guide I did alot of research on the side....on-line and visiting this site-which I LOVE.
I HAVE NOT acted on any advice from the LFS employees....I would listen...go back to the book or check this site and make a decision. The book, and all the helpful people on this site gave me the knowledge in knowing that what the LFS employee told me and this is a direct quote "I can tell you that if you have had your tank up for 4 days it is cycled and you could put 20 fish in a 29 gallon aquarium today if you wanted" WRONG...WRONG... WRONG!!!
So take personal responsibility for educating yourself BEFORE you do anything:smitten:....knowing that these fish are depending on YOU to make the right decision....their lives depend on that. This site is absolutely the best and I want to thank all of you for all your postings and sharing the knowledge with those of us who are newbies---your time and willingness to help others is MUCH appreciated!!!

I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank. Just love it. I started with community fish only a few
until I get nitrogen cycle completed. Do not get black mollies for starting fish they are too
risky for itch.

Take it slow and easy.
t

It may already have been said....

It may already have been said and if it has, my apologies but...
I have to say, I am amazed as to how many posts I have read throughout this site with people asking for Identification of their fish. That, to me, is the most insane thing a hobbyist can do.... buy or take a fish without knowing what you are getting? How do you know it will work with your other fish? How do you know what that fish's requirements are? How do you know what to feed it? etc.

I wish every new hobbyist would consider making 2 trips to their local pet store. The first one is to see what fish they might be interested in. Go home (or to your local library, book store or internet cafe) and research the fish. THEN go back and make your purchase if the fish fits your tank's habitat. If you don't know at least the name of your fish, you shouldn't be buying it...no matter how pretty it is!
I have a library of fish books most would not believe (or could afford) but I've collected them over 48 years. Today's hobbyists have the internet at most of their fingertips so why aren't they using it?

I emplore you, If you are in the fish biz, EDUCATE your customers, don't just sell them stuff. If you are a hobbyist, or just buying a new fish ASK QUESTIONS!!!! Question#1: "What type of fish is this?"!!!!

Sorry for venting, Thanks for reading (y)

Pythons

Can someone please tell me what a python is?

In the reptilian world, a Python is a type of snake ( and is the family that has the longest snakes in the world as members. :eek:)

In the aquatic world, I believe this is a brand of aquarium vacuum/ siphoning tool. (It's the only thing I've seen called a python.) Best bet is to ask your LFS if they carry it or if there are more than the one item for aquariums being called a PYTHON.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok, I couldn't really google it since all that would come up is stuff about the snake.

You can probably go to any of the online pet shop websites and do a search under aquarium products and you might see a pic or description of this tool. Just a thought (y)

From my experience a python is simply a siphon that hooks to your nozzle on your sink or hose and allows for water changes to occur quickly and efficiently

I bought a Python

And it vacuums fine, but when adding water to the tank it leaks in the area of the water coming out when you turn off the water there.:hide:

As a newbie I admit that I fell into that category that you buy a tank,equipment and fish and that's all there is to it.This site among many others have opened my eyes.Cycle before introducing livestock.I believe is the the main thing I have learned.I just need to get my new tank(I have a 10 gal and my plans are designed for a lager tank) and test kit for ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate and PH.
I am still debating what type of decor to put in the tank.I have a live piece of live rock and some plastic decor.I bought a book that gave the reasons for not using the plastic and it was a valid argument: you don't want to disturb the fish every few days to clean the plastic decor because it causes them to be stressed and we all know a stressed fish is not a happy fish.Is it possible to get creative with the live rock and still give the fish hiding places and keep them safe in a 25 or 30 gal tank?

Python

I would like to take back my somewhat negative reply to "Get a Python" as I discovered that mine leaked because of a crack in a part. Duh. Pythons are fantastic!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom