Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My advice to aquarium noobs (and I'm one myself):

Read, read, read, read, ask questions, read, read. THEN get your tank. Then read some more. Ask more questions.

I did everything wrong and backwards. When my friend asked me if my tank was cycled and I didn't know what cycled meant, I knew I was in for heartache.

When I started I got had an old two gal laying around, so I got 3 neon tetras, and 2 male guppies. They all died.

Now I am getting a 29 gal tank!

Congratulations!

I have moved nearly everyone to my new 36 gallon, and doing a fish-in cycle. I am learning a lot and also plan to return a few, (two Swartz cories and possibly some others), to a great LFS.

I am also thinking about a new 20+…

Addicting!

Extremely afflicting I started with a 20 gallon now I have 5 tanks, and that's down from 7.

waynephinney said:
Well, I just started a week or so ago, so I've already made plenty of mistakes that I'm sure are common.

- You can't always trust the person in the pet store. They may not really know what they are doing. That's what this site is for. Barring someone who has either owned the store for some time or someone who has worked with fish for some time, you won't be getting good advice unless you're lucky. Always get a second opinion.

- Overfeeding seems harmless, but it's not. I made the assumption that it was to keep the fish from getting fat, but when's the last time you saw a fat fish? Apparently, which I learned a little too late, the food will break down into ammonia, which combined with the ammonia from the fish can raise your levels quickly.

- Have patience. I didn't. Your fishkeeping life will be a lot easier if you properly cycle your tank before getting your fish.

- Add fish just a handful at a time. For instance, a pleco which can be fine alone you can throw in (well, not literally throw), but fish that like to school or those that prefer a partner may not do so well by themselves. But! You don't want to add too many fish at once. You tank won't be able to stabilize as quickly and you increase your chance of fish deaths.

- Get an air stone. Even if you don't neccessarily need one, it's fun to watch the fish play in the bubbles, and there's nothing wrong with them getting enough oxygen in there.

- Don't leave the lid open if you have ferrets and a stand they are capable of climbing nearby. They will try to go for a swim.

That's all I've got for now, but as I make more mistakes, I'll tell you.

I just want to say that. This is the first time I have ever been warned about open lid + ferret = swimming ferret!!!! +10 for making laugh that hard! Lmao....still laughing

Extremely afflicting I started with a 20 gallon now I have 5 tanks, and that's down from 7.

You think that's bad, I started with a tupperware container with 1 guppy and went up to over 20 tanks, (in my bedroom) which launched a 40+ year career working with fish. I've had systems as large as 2,500 gals and there were 10 of them in one of my warehouses. I'm now down to about 200 Bettas and THAT'S IT for sure...... for now :ROFLMAO:

Python

I am new to fishkeeping and new to this thread. Tank is cycling as I speak (or type). About the Python - doesn't that put untreated tap water into your tank? Aren't you always supposed to treat the water before adding it?

Hi. I am new to the hobby and have made a lot of mistakes, but need advice. I bought three bettas (an adult male halfmoon, adult male veil tail, and a baby femaile crowntail). I'm not sure of the gender of the baby since the chain pet store had a few cups separate from the other betta cups labeled female crowntails. The baby is slightly larger than a neon tetra, has a tan colored body, and slight purple tint to her/his back fins.

She/he is old enough to eat frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, swims around a lot, and seems happy and curious.

Well, here's the situation with the other two: I bought 2 plain 2.5 gallon tanks, a Tetra Whisper 3i internal filters, and Marina 8 watt heaters. Things were rocky at first. The halfmoon was in a panic with the filter, and paced back and forth in the tank. He flared at the drop of a hat.

I took the filters out for a few weeks and did 100-percent water changes, but the water kept getting cloudy after a day or two, and stressed all of them and me out. Last week, I put the filters in and he seems so much more relaxed now--swimming but not frantic, going behind the filter, swimming around it, slipping under one of the small silk plants and a little wiggling of his back fins when he swims.

His appetite is great and though he still flares a lot, he swims a bit, flares, and goes on his way as though he's showing off his colors.

Question: Since I added the filter I am now cycling the tank, right? I've been doing 25-percent water changes using a conditioner daily and 50-percent water changes twice a week.

I'm only using an ordinary dechlorinator, not one that removes ammonia.

Also, I read online that even a small cycled and filtered tank needs 100-percent water changes. This seems to defeat the purpose of cycling and the fish seem so much happier with the filters andsmaller but more frequent partial water changes (a breeze with partial changes and the gravel vacuum, which is a lifesaver, now that I know how to work it).

To conclude:

1. Do I need to do complete water changes once the tank cycles completely? Would the same water change schedule work once the tanks are fully cycled?

2. I don't have a testing kit yet, but will get one next month. Should I just keep what I am doing to keep the water quality as good as possible until then?

3. Also, the aquariums don't have too much in terms of decorations (a few colored glass stones and a couple of plastic/silk plants). No light either, though they seem happy without a light hood. Do I need one of these? Well, do they need an extra source of light?

4. How do I handle filter cartridge changes while the tank is cycling? I don't want to kill off the beneficial bacteria.

5. Should I continue with the partial water changes while the tank cycles? It seems cruel to let the poor fish tough it out. I didn't know about cycling let alone fishless cycling before I got the bettas.

The baby's tank, when I get it, will be cycled before he/she goes in it.

Last edited:
this is true, i did my first partial water change and wanted to clean the old food out the bottom, the water came out so fast my little girl was shouting "mum the bucket is full" before i had finished cleaning, i had half a tank of water left, oops

Newbie and learned the hard way

Hey,

Newbie here and i definitely learned the hard way..I basically bought a tank a fish and just put him in and thought that was all i needed to do:nono: Then he was getting what I Now know as ammonia burns :huh: and once i googled it :eek: a whole world of information was at my fingertips and I just soaked it all in, sadly my fish didnt make due to swim bladders disease and ultimately harsh water conditions. I was heartbroken because I had tried my best to keep my fish alive from that point on(partial water changes, test kit, less feedings even a bigger tank etc)
So basically when i started I didnt do enough and then once I learned about this I did WAYYY to much. If I had known then.... But what kills me is at the main chain pet stores they dont even mention cycling they just give you the fish the tank and thats it:whistle: :hide: Since then I have found a locally owned store specific to fish and reptiles and they know so much.... I love them (and these smilies too:dance:)
1) learn before you set up
2) cycle properly
3) find a great local store that specializes in fish life

I know I'm biased but.......

Hey,

Newbie here and i definitely learned the hard way..I basically bought a tank a fish and just put him in and thought that was all i needed to do:nono: Then he was getting what I Now know as ammonia burns :huh: and once i googled it :eek: a whole world of information was at my fingertips and I just soaked it all in, sadly my fish didnt make due to swim bladders disease and ultimately harsh water conditions. I was heartbroken because I had tried my best to keep my fish alive from that point on(partial water changes, test kit, less feedings even a bigger tank etc)
So basically when i started I didnt do enough and then once I learned about this I did WAYYY to much. If I had known then.... But what kills me is at the main chain pet stores they dont even mention cycling they just give you the fish the tank and thats it:whistle: :hide: Since then I have found a locally owned store specific to fish and reptiles and they know so much.... I love them (and these smilies too:dance:)
1) learn before you set up
2) cycle properly
3) find a great local store that specializes in fish life

I feel for all you newbies out there as I know there is a lot of mis(sed)information and wrong info out there and all it does is cost you guys a lot of money in the end. But there IS hope.....

Let me start by saying that I know this is a biased remark based soley on my experiences and background. However, it has been proven correct more often than not so if I ruffle a few feathers, I suggest you (with the ruffled feathers) dig a little deeper as to why it does :confused:
I spent many years of my 40+ year tropical fish career working in multiple "Mom & Pop" pet stores so when given a choice today, I choose to purchase in a "Mom & Pop" shop over a BIG CHAIN store any day of the week. You see, most, if not all, of the big chains don't make their money by selling fish. They make it on the supplies. They do what thay have to keep the fish alive (most of the time) but it is usually the bare minimum and the quality of the fish show's it. Conversely, Mom & Pops need to sell higher quality fish because they depend on you (the consumer) to return to their store over and over again. Why would you come back if their fish die as easy as the chain's fish for less $$? They also usually carry a bigger selection of fish as well. They usually don't have internet sales for their merchandise so again, they depend on you for their livelyhoods. The employees in a Mom & Pop also have a bit more experience than those in the big chain stores. They have to because the store's reputation depends on them. Employees can make or break a pet store. They have to know how to care for many different types of fish so chances are, if you have a question, they either have the answer or have the ability to get the right answer. You would be amazed at the things I've heard chain store employees say to their customers. Most just are barely qualified to be doing the job let alone giving advice. (It's a pet peeve of mine. :banghead:)

Now, before you say " But their fish or supplies are more expensive!", consider this, How many fish will you have to replace from a chain store compared to a Mom & Pop store? Yes, their fish might be a little more expensive but it takes a bit more to keep a better quality fish. You'll find this to be true as you go further in your fish keeping. We used to have a saying that went " A filter is a filter but a fish is not a fish." What was meant was that a Penguin 123 filter, for example, is the same no matter where you get it but a fish is not the same everywhere you see them. Having said that tho, it behooves you to support your Mom & Pop shop by buying their filters and gravel and supplies as well. The extra money you spend for these will be rewarded in time as I know most M & P shops reward their customers for loyalty. Sometimes it's an extra fish or a complimentary discount or even better, staying open late when they know you need something at the last minute to save your tank. The advice they give can be priceless. (Obviously this depends on the store and their reputation.) They appreciate your loyalty and show it where it counts. I haven't seen much of this at the big chain stores (at least not when I needed something in a hurry and they were my closest choice.)

But don't just take my word for it, check it out for yourself. Ask a basic question (one that you know the answer to), make it the same question, to your local M&P shop, local big chain shop fish employee and your local or online aquarium society. You might be surprised to hear the answers. I know I asked a chain store's employee how long they had been keeping fish because I had overheard her bad answer to a customer and she said " This is my first week on the floor but I haven't finished reading the manual yet." This just confirmed what I already knew because noone with experience in fish keeping would have given her answer to the customer. That's what you are dealing with.

As I said, I know I am biased but I want fish that live so I can enjoy them for a longer time. I was lucky to have been trained by a certified ichthyologist but he told me, in the beginning, to read, read, read before I tried something new. I suggest you all do the same. There are many books out there by qualified people in the field. Don't just rely on an internet site to be your guide. Learn from the people that are keeping the same fish you want to keep.

Good luck to you all and I hope I just saved you a few $$$$ (y)

Thanks very much

Thanks Andy,

I agree with you 100%.I cant tell you how many different answers I got from big chain stores some even suggested for me to do nothing for 30 days while cycling then let them test the water with test strips. I even remember one who said "you may loose a fish or two" Im like I only have my one precious fish wtf!. Now i know that was SO wrong. In comparison, the local fish store asked me right off the bat if my tank was cycled. I also noticed they have a good group of folks coming in and out and someone who specializes in aquariums plants and equipment. It's a good place.

I feel for all you newbies out there as I know there is a lot of mis(sed)information and wrong info out there and all it does is cost you guys a lot of money in the end. But there IS hope.....

Let me start by saying that I know this is a biased remark based soley on my experiences and background. However, it has been proven correct more often than not so if I ruffle a few feathers, I suggest you (with the ruffled feathers) dig a little deeper as to why it does :confused:
I spent many years of my 40+ year tropical fish career working in multiple "Mom & Pop" pet stores so when given a choice today, I choose to purchase in a "Mom & Pop" shop over a BIG CHAIN store any day of the week. You see, most, if not all, of the big chains don't make their money by selling fish. They make it on the supplies. They do what thay have to keep the fish alive (most of the time) but it is usually the bare minimum and the quality of the fish show's it. Conversely, Mom & Pops need to sell higher quality fish because they depend on you (the consumer) to return to their store over and over again. Why would you come back if their fish die as easy as the chain's fish for less $$? They also usually carry a bigger selection of fish as well. They usually don't have internet sales for their merchandise so again, they depend on you for their livelyhoods. The employees in a Mom & Pop also have a bit more experience than those in the big chain stores. They have to because the store's reputation depends on them. Employees can make or break a pet store. They have to know how to care for many different types of fish so chances are, if you have a question, they either have the answer or have the ability to get the right answer. You would be amazed at the things I've heard chain store employees say to their customers. Most just are barely qualified to be doing the job let alone giving advice. (It's a pet peeve of mine. :banghead:)

Now, before you say " But their fish or supplies are more expensive!", consider this, How many fish will you have to replace from a chain store compared to a Mom & Pop store? Yes, their fish might be a little more expensive but it takes a bit more to keep a better quality fish. You'll find this to be true as you go further in your fish keeping. We used to have a saying that went " A filter is a filter but a fish is not a fish." What was meant was that a Penguin 123 filter, for example, is the same no matter where you get it but a fish is not the same everywhere you see them. Having said that tho, it behooves you to support your Mom & Pop shop by buying their filters and gravel and supplies as well. The extra money you spend for these will be rewarded in time as I know most M & P shops reward their customers for loyalty. Sometimes it's an extra fish or a complimentary discount or even better, staying open late when they know you need something at the last minute to save your tank. The advice they give can be priceless. (Obviously this depends on the store and their reputation.) They appreciate your loyalty and show it where it counts. I haven't seen much of this at the big chain stores (at least not when I needed something in a hurry and they were my closest choice.)

But don't just take my word for it, check it out for yourself. Ask a basic question (one that you know the answer to), make it the same question, to your local M&P shop, local big chain shop fish employee and your local or online aquarium society. You might be surprised to hear the answers. I know I asked a chain store's employee how long they had been keeping fish because I had overheard her bad answer to a customer and she said " This is my first week on the floor but I haven't finished reading the manual yet." This just confirmed what I already knew because noone with experience in fish keeping would have given her answer to the customer. That's what you are dealing with.

As I said, I know I am biased but I want fish that live so I can enjoy them for a longer time. I was lucky to have been trained by a certified ichthyologist but he told me, in the beginning, to read, read, read before I tried something new. I suggest you all do the same. There are many books out there by qualified people in the field. Don't just rely on an internet site to be your guide. Learn from the people that are keeping the same fish you want to keep.

Good luck to you all and I hope I just saved you a few $$$$ (y)

Thanks Andy,

I agree with you 100%.I cant tell you how many different answers I got from big chain stores some even suggested for me to do nothing for 30 days while cycling then let them test the water with test strips. I even remember one who said "you may loose a fish or two" Im like I only have my one precious fish wtf!. Now i know that was SO wrong. In comparison, the local fish store asked me right off the bat if my tank was cycled. I also noticed they have a good group of folks coming in and out and someone who specializes in aquariums plants and equipment. It's a good place.

That sounds great and what I like to see. I suggest you do whatever you can to help keep that store open and doing business. Their biggest enemy is always going to be the chains. You, as a dedicated customer, can help them get the word out that THEY are the RIGHT PLACE to shop. I'm sure they will appreciate your efforts (y)
Good luck with your tank(s) and your fish keeping. It's a great hobby (y)(y)(y)

Hello fish lovers... LOL

I was ginen to tanks a 5 gal & a 10 gal tank the 5 gal was used and older model. and the 10 gal. is a brand new fintop starter kit. gonna use the 5 gal as a Quarantine Tank. and the 10 gal as my main tank for now!. want to eventually goto a 55 gal..
My question is in the 10 gal starter it came with a box that is called complete fish-less starter kit. use 1 tablet for every 5 gal of water.

1 tablet called Start Zyme
1 tablet called Start Right <---- Do these work????
1 tablet called Correct pH

I followed the instruction on the box for both aquariums. I am picking up a test kit tomorrow from the LPS. not going to add fish till after the new year starts. what do I need to be looking for as far as in the tank? like what temp do I need to keep it at? color of water? pH levels? ammonia levels? etc. etc.

going to be researching the freshwater fish while waiting for the tank to get ready....

any help would be a greatly appreciated...:banghead:

Please do research BEFORE buying anything! I am a beginner who bought a 10 gallon starter kit thinking I could put anything in it, I was wrong. Now I have a 10 gallon tank, a bunch of equipment, and 2 fish I have no idea what to do with or how to get my money back. It has already cost me a decent sum of money to buy everything and how its looking in the long-run I have lost money and some fish. Please Please Pleas research what fish you want and how to cycle a tank before buying one. If you don't know what fish you want yet go to a good size fish shop even if they don't have the best reviews and get a good idea of different fish to buy. When I first got my tank I had the image of a green spotted puffer in my head and it turned out it needed like a 30 gallon tank and I had a 10. It also needed brackish water. Now I like the red blood parrot fish and it also needs a 30 gallon tank. So you see tank size is of the utmost importance when buying a fish. Also cycling takes so much work if you don't know what your doing I literally learned almost all my knowledge of it today and that is a very small amount at the time. I will list some links given to me earlier and I hope my story helps whoever is a noob at buying a fish tank and fish.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Just read through the entire thread, lots of good info. just wanted to add something that i dont remember seeing. When doing water changes, UNPLUG YOUR HEATER! I havent had one fry or explode on me, but have read numerous times about it happening. and of course it happens at the worst times, later at night, holiday weekend, when you cant just run out and pick up a new one. Also GOOGLE and the SEARCH function here are your friend, research what you are looking for, and read several different articles on it to get several points of view and make your own decisions from there.

When doing water changes, UNPLUG YOUR HEATER! I havent had one fry or explode on me, but have read numerous times about it happening. and of course it happens at the worst times, later at night, holiday weekend, when you cant just run out and pick up a new one.

YES! That one no one tells you about.

Back
Top Bottom