Common Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noah0504

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, here's the back story:

My friend bought a pleco from his LFS (isn't that how these always start out) to put in his tank to help with algae. While he didn't completely outgrow the tank, my friend foresaw that he would eventually and asked if I would take him in. I knew that it was most likely a common pleco and he would last in my 30 gallon forever, but it had nowhere else to go so I said yes.

I'd say he's probably almost 2 years old and I've had him for 5-6 months. He's almost 5 inches from head-to-tip now and while I'm pretty sure he's the common variety that will eventually require a new tank (maybe I could talk my girlfriend into that) or a new home, I haven't been able to positively ID him. Every time I have myself convinced, I see or read something that may suggest that he'll stay smaller.

I've posted a couple of pictures. Let me know if they're not good enough to make an ID, but I guess I'm just looking to confirm what I may already know.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_112316.jpg
    IMG_20130414_112316.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20130414_114416.jpg
    IMG_20130414_114416.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 65
I had one looking like yours, just handed him over to my lfs today :'( and they confirmed that mine is a common pleco and ive had him for 5 years and he's 10 inch, an brilliant pet to have in a suitable tank.... would love to upgrade my tank as went from 60l to 120l to 240L just for him... But it was time to bid him farewell he does need a 6ft tank minand there no way i can have a tank as big as that....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's going to grow into a monster fish one of these days. It has so much personality and I'll hate to bid him farewell, but I guess I'll have to make plans on getting him a new home soon. He won't stay small forever...

Back
Top Bottom