Community Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christienbr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Im looking at starting a 55 to 75 gallon community tank and I need some advice on compatability. Here is my list of candidates.

Black Ghost Knifefish
Bosemani Rainbowfish
Turquoise Rainbowfish
Velvet Red Tux Swordtail
Farlowella Catfish
Platinum Angel
Neon Tetra
Red Neon Lobster
Some Shark-Like Catfish

My largest conerns include the ph requirements for the black ghost, buyig in suitable numbers, and space for all the fish to live peacefully.

What do you reccomend? Are there any other fish I could look into adding/replacing with these tank sizes?

Thank you!

Hi all,

Im looking at starting a 55 to 75 gallon community tank and I need some advice on compatability. Here is my list of candidates.

Black Ghost Knifefish
Bosemani Rainbowfish
Turquoise Rainbowfish
Velvet Red Tux Swordtail
Farlowella Catfish
Platinum Angel
Neon Tetra
Red Neon Lobster
Some Shark-Like Catfish

My largest conerns include the ph requirements for the black ghost, buyig in suitable numbers, and space for all the fish to live peacefully.

What do you reccomend? Are there any other fish I could look into adding/replacing with these tank sizes?

Thank you!

Forget about the lobster and the knifefish. Knifefish get enormous- you'd need a 180 gallon or so. And the lobster will try to eat anything you put in with it.

Angelfish will eat neon tetras so I would drop them too.

Shark-like catfish? What do you mean by shark-like?

Forget about the lobster and the knifefish. Knifefish get enormous- you'd need a 180 gallon or so. And the lobster will try to eat anything you put in with it.

Angelfish will eat neon tetras so I would drop them too.

Shark-like catfish? What do you mean by shark-like?

Thank you for the advice! I was planning on upgrading to a 100 gallon for the knifefish over time, but maybe that still is too small. I will definatly drop the lobster!

Do you reeccomend to drop the tetras or the angelfish?

I was interested in a shark like the Columbian or Red Tailed, but wasnt sure which would be most suitable for a community tank. Sharks seem pretty aggressive and the only large fish im interested in is the Black Ghost. Is there a species that will be nice and not be too large?

Thanks!

So just out of curiosity, is this your first fish tank? I have some ideas for you but a lot of my advice depends on how much fishkeeping experience you have.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So just out of curiosity, is this your first fish tank? I have some ideas for you but a lot of my advice depends on how much fishkeeping experience you have.

+1

And BGK can be territorial as well. Saw a nice one roughly 12 inches at my LFS yesterday and it was nipping at a Synodontis (which is a territorial species anyway).

They are nocturnal predators and it would probably eat your smaller fish.

Sharks are too aggressive.

If you want something decent size with a lot of energy look at a small group of pictus catfish. Like bouncy balls! Neon tetras would get eaten though as well as by the angel as they have been known to eat neons.

Caleb

This will be my second tank. I currently have a tank with 5 varieties of goldfish and a clown pleco. I am upgrading them to a larger tank and starting a new one. I've had the goldfish for almost a year now.

So, no neon tetras, no lobster, and the black ghost is a bit of a gamble. Is there another species that would school like the neon tetras but not get eaten?

So then this is your first tropical tank. In that case, I would avoid anything aggressive like the sharks and the knifefish.

The rainbowfish would school like neons. You could also do a larger tetra like silvertip tetras or lemon tetras.

Thank you for the help all! Im glad I didnt go foreward with this to find this out on my own(resulting in dead fish.)

Appriciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom