Community Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,
6 weeks ago I bought a Crowntail betta.
4 weeks ago I moved him from my QT to my 50 gallon community tank (with a pleco, rummynose tetras, dwarf spotted danios, cories, mollies, and platies.

I've kept an eye on him, and so far they all seem to be getting along. No aggression, no nipping, etc. There are lots of plants and hiding places for their time-outs.

Am i in the clear, or are they likely to start causing trouble down the road? I've got my QT tank ready in case he needs isolation, but visually he's a great addition to my tank...

A lot of people keep betta's in community tanks with no problems. If you have had him in there for a while you should be fine. Just keep an eye on him and the others and if you notice anything you can pull him. Feeding time is great for giving your tank a quick check.

The biggest problem I've found with keeping bettas (male OR female) in communities is that they overeat. A Betta eats very little for its body size. Generally 3 or 4 small pellets a day is enough for a Betta (I'm referring to the small Hikari betta pellets).

In a community tank where food is just added for everybody, Bettas tend to take more than they need, and end up bloated. Long term, this causes problems, and the Betta dies before its time. Try to target feed your other fish in a way that the Betta doesn't get too much food if you can.

I've kept Betta's in community tanks off and on for many years and honestly have never had issues with overeating or bloating because they are so much more active in larger tanks. I've have 4 males in my 220g 100% planted for many months and while they may get more food they are constantly swimming and that is a lot of swim space. I rarely see them resting like I see with my Betta's in smaller tanks without other fish.

OP Betta males can get testy at any time but usually if they are being docile for along time they rarely cause problems. But on rare occasion I've seen a fish (Angelicus loach in my 220) pestering one of them, not being mean, just swimming around them almost tickling them with their barbels and when the Betta gets enough he will chase them off. But that is it, they chase, then go about their business. Since all Betta's have individual temperaments all you have to do is keep your eye on them and have a plan if you ever have to move them.

Back
Top Bottom