Compatible Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently gotten another tank, 55 gallon and I'm intensely excited because my wife and I have decided to step outside the livebearer world and try out cichlids.

The water where I live is inherently hard and alkaline (w/ no chemicals, ph of 8 and hardness of about 200 dh [hope that's the right measurement]. I've read that this will be perfect for african cichlids from lake malawi, the mbuna, and after all the reading I've done lately, I'm really excited for Labidochromis caeruleus, the electric yellow as this is a gorgeous fish in my opinion. I was wondering if there would be any other type of african cichlid I could put with them without fear of too much aggression. I've read that you'll want to overstock them a little bit to spread out the aggression, so I do plan on this. The tank is currently cycling with the help of two exceptionally hardy fish, a molly and a guppy whom will be removed when I'm ready to add the cichlids.

I've read good things about Melanochromis Johanii, would this be a good companion? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Also, are there any appropriate cleaners to put with cichlids? My ghost shrimp and CAE do wonders in the guppy/molly tank, but I again am aware that cichlids are territorial.

with labs, you would have good chances with zebras, bumblebees, demasoni, afras. the aggression from these fish means nothing too mild - peacocks are a risk but labs can be nice to them.

i have two johanni and reccomend them big time - beautiful. but beware, they can and will hybridize with the labs as the johanni females are yellow too and they would get confused. and they are very mean, so that limits to only the more aggressive africans like zebras, demasoni etc.

shrimp get eaten. snails get eaten. chances are you would be fine with a bristlenose or similar, a smaller type of pleco x

I've recently gotten another tank, 55 gallon and I'm intensely excited because my wife and I have decided to step outside the livebearer world and try out cichlids.

The water where I live is inherently hard and alkaline (w/ no chemicals, ph of 8 and hardness of about 200 dh [hope that's the right measurement]. I've read that this will be perfect for african cichlids from lake malawi, the mbuna, and after all the reading I've done lately, I'm really excited for Labidochromis caeruleus, the electric yellow as this is a gorgeous fish in my opinion. I was wondering if there would be any other type of african cichlid I could put with them without fear of too much aggression. I've read that you'll want to overstock them a little bit to spread out the aggression, so I do plan on this. The tank is currently cycling with the help of two exceptionally hardy fish, a molly and a guppy whom will be removed when I'm ready to add the cichlids.

I've read good things about Melanochromis Johanii, would this be a good companion? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Also, are there any appropriate cleaners to put with cichlids? My ghost shrimp and CAE do wonders in the guppy/molly tank, but I again am aware that cichlids are territorial.

How do the doing right now?

In my lake Malawi setup I have a featherfin syndontis. He is by far one of my favorite fish :D

I also recommend zebras, a good choice is red zebras or cobalt zebras. I have them both and they are so fun to watch!

Maxkolbe said:
In my lake Malawi setup I have a featherfin syndontis. He is by far one of my favorite fish :D

I also recommend zebras, a good choice is red zebras or cobalt zebras. I have them both and they are so fun to watch!

+1 on the featherfin syno, LOVE mine! I also have yellow tail acei with my labs and they are great together. The acei are cool cause they swim together at the top of the tank where most cichlids waste this area.

you picked a good starter fish labs can pretty much go in with any other mbuna, in my 75 i have yellow labs, red zebras, maingano and a pleco :) planning on adding white labs as well

Back
Top Bottom