Conditioners and Amonia readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwhitt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it true that Amonia readings can show false after a major water change. Amonia levels were very high, did a 75% water change with Prime to condition. Levels are much better now at .25. Plan on another change today. Can i go by these readings? How will I Know when the tank has cycled if the conditioner causes a false reading.

It is not so much the conditioner gives false reading. Rather, the typical ammonia test cannot distinguish between bound & free ammonia.

Tap water typically contains chloramines as disinfectant. This is broken down to Chlorine and Ammonia by the conditioner. Both are bound to the conditioner and are harmless. Your test kit, however, will read the bound ammonia & give you a positive reading.

You will typically see less than one of ammonia in treated tap water. To tell how much free ammonia you have in the tank after your water change, you could do one of the following:
1. Use a salicylate ammonia test kit (a salt water ammonia test) - this will accurately read the free ammonia.
2. Treat a sample of tap water with your conditioner & measure the ammonia level. Then subtract that from your tank reading. Eg - If your tap reads 0.5, and you have done a 50% pwc and the tank now reads 2.0. The estimated free ammonia would be 2.0-(0.5x50%) = 1.75.
3. Wait 24 hrs - the effect of Prime would have dissipated, and whatever ammonia you read is true.

The simplest thing to do is "3". To prove that the tank is cycled, just make sure that the ammonia (& nitrite) are both zero BEFORE your water change.

Some test kits can give you a false reading for ammonia. The liquid reagent kits are best. Any ammonia in the tank is usually a sign of an event that caused a spike or an immature tank.

When did you set the tank up, and do you have any readings for pH, ammonia, nitrIte, & nitrAte?
Also how big a tank is it, and how many fish do you have?

I would take a water sample to test first. If you have reading of 0.25 or higher for ammonia or nitrIte do a 50% water change.

Thank for the advise, levels are now under control, will continue to monitor ..................thanks again

Back
Top Bottom