Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titaniumtim

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, just need to ask a few questions. Brand new to keeping fish so dont be too hard on me,lol. I bought a 20 gallon aquarium, put my substrate in. it's sand from LFS and gravel on top in places. I have a heater and Fluval C3 filter. Have thermometer showing around 78F. I put in a driftwood sort of branch, also bought at LFS. Rescued my wife's male betta out of it's 1 gallon bowl and put it in as the starter fish,lol. One week later with filter going and heat stable put in a few pagoda style deco's. Next day, some ghost shrimp, 2, were added. Then i bought the Api test kit and did ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test. Amm-.25 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 Ph-8.0. So im not too worried about the PH, But im thinking my one beta is not bringin the ammonia lvls up enuff in the 20 gal tank, so i put in a snail. Bought some frozen bloodworms for a treat, Betta is now getting a big red blotch (not a lump, just color) on his head, fins look great, eats like a pig,surfs the current when i put the filter on full. First question is what is the red coloring? Should i b worried or is it just the bloodworm bringing out weird coloring? Week two- put in a couple small Anubias Nana plants for color and hoping they will add to the water quality. Today i tested water and its still the same. No Nitrates still. Why??? Sorry this was so long, just wanted to be detailed!:thanks:

Fish-in cycling takes many weeks, not just days. So that's not unusual. It could take anywhere from 1-3 months to cycle with fish.

Not sure on his red blotch, could just be coloring up.

Might be the bloodworms - was the colour there before and just showing up more? Any other change - it sounds like he is eating well?

No changes except the color so far, and his "beard" seams to be turning blackish!!! He was sold to my wife as a "translucent" betta? He was a slight pinkish hue, but now he is.... well i will post a pic. Pic is blurry cuz he just wont sit still but u can see his red blotch and the back line at his gill area.

Attachments

• 2014-04-09 21.08.13.jpg
    2014-04-09 21.08.13.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 90
k, got a better pic of my guy, water perameters still the same. havnt done a WC in four days. Snail is now holed up and shrimp are sluggish. here is water-and Milo-my betta

Attachments

• 2014-04-10 18.33.12.jpg
    2014-04-10 18.33.12.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2014-04-10 18.29.28.jpg
    2014-04-10 18.29.28.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 94
I'm thinking the ammonia is getting high and hurting the fish but I'm no expert ^^

Does the blotch look like a bruise? I can see it and would say either a bacterial infection (or ammonia burn). The ammonia at 0.25 should be ok, except your ph is high at 8 so I would keep up the water changes. To me it doesn't seem a natural color change.

Edit - have you tested tap water?

Edit - did you test ammonia in the 1 gal bowl he came from out of interest?

Last edited:
@delapool- I have not tested the tap water. I will do that. But I'm also using prime at every WC. I also don't think it looks natural. Its like he developed a big birthmark on his head. No I didn't test the ammonia in the bowl because I knew it was lethal just by reading these forums. My wife would do a WC around every week or two. So if anything he should be healthier. Only two things I can think of that are effecting him are either the bloodworms(frozen) or the pH. He's looking bad. Looks like a grinning shark with his black gills. I will start doing my water changes regularly again and see if he improves.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Change in General can be stressful even if it's for the better. Are you putting in something that helps slime coat?

@delapool- I have not tested the tap water. I will do that. But I'm also using prime at every WC. I also don't think it looks natural. Its like he developed a big birthmark on his head. No I didn't test the ammonia in the bowl because I knew it was lethal just by reading these forums. My wife would do a WC around every week or two. So if anything he should be healthier. Only two things I can think of that are effecting him are either the bloodworms(frozen) or the pH. He's looking bad. Looks like a grinning shark with his black gills. I will start doing my water changes regularly again and see if he improves.

Looking a bit grim. I have read that the black scales from ammonia burn healing can take up to 3 days to show so was just wondering on the previous tank.

Are you feeding anything besides the bloodworms?

Yes, definitely increase the water changes. If tap water is 0 ammonia this will help anyway. Also be good to let the water stand for 24hrs to degas and see what ph is.

I'll see if I can find some links on ammonia vs ph.

I'd also suggest a anti-bacterial which will help either way.

Is the black on his head the scales or flesh?

Was a week later that the red started showing and then another week till the black( which looks inside the gills) showed after introduced to new tank. What kind of anti bacterial should I use? And would it b safe to use with my shrimp and snail or do I have to quarantine him for this?
My main source of food is the betta pellets that came with him. I've stopped the worms for now.

Hi, sorry for the delay - stuff breaking in the house.

I found the ammonia toxicity chart. The .25 total ammonia (TAN) should be fine at all ph/temp but I've got a molly which has been sitting on the tank bottom at ammonia somewhere between 0.25 to 0.5. Other 3 you would never pick.

I'm not sure with the shrimp and snail. I'd keep up the water changes. For ammonia burns - lots of clean water changes and something low level bacterial like melafix. I say like melafix as there seems to be a concern with using melafix or bettafix with betas. I haven't tried these with a betta so can't comment.

So I'd try to pick a bacterial from your lfs that won't harm the tank bacteria or triple sulpha. I suggest asking as the options here are too limited to suggest much.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

Ok, ive been extremely busy as of late. sorry, but here is an update on my situation. My Snail has died, my two ghost shrimp have become white, one has died, the other is slowly turning a shade of yellow. My "Translucent" Betta is now looking more like a micro Koi!!! I have noticed just tonight that the branch I bought from the LFS is turning black in some places......hmmm. any thoughts?? My tank still is not cycled. Its been a month and a half now. Im doing regular WC,s and lately ive been getting brown algae in one spot of my tank. Tonight i did a 40% WC and added some aquarium salt to the mix. The water has been super clear and my betta is still eating good and swims around like crazy. Aside from him looking like a walking dead fish, he seams happy.lol. so...still confused,any help would be appreciated. And no, i havnt checked my tap water yet.lol.

Back
Top Bottom