Constipated, dropsy, or just fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who's gallons? My 165 English gallons is 198 American ones. Makes a big difference which side of the pond you're on! Is it a long tank a tall tank, the filter will also play a part? Rated gallons per hour?

40 English gallons I believe.
My filter is an aquamanta efx300, I can't seem to find the gallons per hour atm:/
I also put another little pump on that creates a fair bit of bubbles for the fish, don't have this constantly on though

Guys I've noticed really really tiny black lines on the sand, anyone know what this is? There not moving so I don't think there worms, unless there like dead, or maybe is it just some sort of waste or something.

There quite a lot of it, there should be a mix of sand and white and yellow stones but now I'm seeing this black stuff.

Attachments

• image-3293623015.jpg
    image-3293623015.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image-2135131864.jpg
    image-2135131864.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 40
Looks like faeces. That could be good news!

Filter is more than adequate. 6 times approx turnover is well above average.

What tank is that from? Isolation, main or both?

You think it is? Even if it's that small? I sure hope so!

And that's from the isolation tank so it's all from my Goldie if it is!

There's a hell of a lot of it though, it looks like it needs a full 100% water change but I heard this isn't great for the fish, especially if I only did it 2 odd weeks ago. Should I stick to 50% water changes daily?

Target the waste with a hose on siphon. You should get it all in a bucket full (10litres). Mind the sand. You always lose some.
I'm happy I've been wrong! Not often I'm happy about that!
I agree though it doesn't equate to the size of the fish.
Don't dismiss intestinal issues just yet.
What is the vent condition at this point?

Right okay I'll try remove as much as possible, and keep with the water changes
Have you bought Epsom salts before and if so where from? I'm looking at online shops like tesco and they don't seem to have it, although I'm going to go in tomorrow and look for myself.

The vent is pink and inverted, whereas like a week ago it wasnt inverted, just flat

I have never used It. The fish store may have it.
It raises hardness and is not suitable for most fish I keep. Some fish will tolerate its use. My community tank has soft water species in it.

Look online for MgSO4. It is readily available.

Oh it turns out my mum knows a shop nearby where it's found, hopefully they have it in stock tomorrow, need this fish better, time to get some more veggies

Oh dear this cannot be good news,

I've found a good few things that look like miniature water snails around the tank on the glass, is this a bacterial infection?:/

What the hell are they? Are they parasites?

Attachments

• image-62776299.jpg
    image-62776299.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2822233967.jpg
    image-2822233967.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • image-1994911822.jpg
    image-1994911822.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 37
Best photos I could get

Attachments

• image-90972410.jpg
    image-90972410.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image-1545333154.jpg
    image-1545333154.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image-994288750.jpg
    image-994288750.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 29
Ordinary pond snails! Most people call them hitchhiker snails. I have them everywhere but honestly do not even notice them unless I am cleaning filter media.

Oh my god I was panicking so much, I think these guys are the things that are leaving behind them black lines, not my fish:(

are these guys a threat at all? Should I remove them or do they help out in anyway?

I should hopefully be getting some Epsom salts tomorrow, can you give me the recommended amount I should put in?

And what's the best container to use, if she's only ment to be in there for short time can I use something like a large lunchbox?

Quite a few people hate them because they are prolific reproducers and swear they destroy plants. One can turn into 100 quite quickly. Mine have never bothered a plant. They eat algae, dead plant matter, left over food, etc. My goldfish eat them, too, so my guess is they are responsible for keeping the populations in check. Up to you whether you want them or not! :)

Oh right that's not too bad then, I think I'll keep a few and if I start seeing large amounts I might get rid.

Would they be good food for my weatherloaches?

I should hopefully be getting some Epsom salts tomorrow, can you give me the recommended amount I should put in?

And what's the best container to use, if she's only ment to be in there for short time can I use something like a large lunchbox?

Do you have a clean bucket? This would be safest. Dose 1tsp/g and make sure its dissolved before adding her. Best to use tank water for her baths.

Ahh I don't think I have a clean bucket:/

I know my brother had a clear through box about the size of a 10 gal, I guess I'll have to see if he still has that

And when u say a teaspoon per gallon, your meaning uk or American gallons? And is it a heaped teaspoon or a leveled off one?

Even a big pasta pot would work fine (clean). One level tsp per gallon (US). I know imperial gallons are larger than US gallons. The container needs to be large enough to hold her comfortably for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom