Constipated fish??? :s --- Orandas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oranda-abbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys! Im really new to this whole fish thing and I really want the best everything for my oranda goldfish. They have a big tank, ornaments and a filter and there is 4 of them in total. I have noticed that one of them isnt swimming properly and its not eating anything. I also sometimes find it laid on top of the filter and it doesnt want to move. I rang up my local pet store and they think I have over fed it, even though it was them that told me to feed it 2-3 times a day but youre meant to do it once! What should I do because it isnt eating the blood worms or chopped up peas I have put in the tank and it looks really weak. It use to be so full of life and elegant but now it just droops and looks like it is going to die!

It could be overfeeding so just cut down on how much it eats. Also, the only other thing I can think of that it has is swimbladder disease.

How long have you had the fish? Has your tank gone through the nitrogen cycle? What is your water changing schedule, and how much do you change out at a time?

More info is definitely needed. lethargy is not really a sign of constipation or overfeeding.

Questions:
1. Age & size of fish
2. Size of tank & filtration
3. water parameters? Is the tank cycled?
4. what food are your feeding?
5. Is the fish just lethargic (not moving) or is the fish unable to maintain buoyancy? < ie trying to swim but unable to maintain position (not being upright/ float or sinks uncontrollably).>
6. Is the fish bloated? Eye popped out? Scales sticking out?
7. Is the fish pooping? If so what is the poop like? <Constipated fish will trail long strings of dark poop behind them.>
8. Any spots, dots, bumps, etc. Condition of the fins?

First thing I would do is to maintain clean water. Check water parameters and do a pwc on spec. What to do next depends on what the fish is doing.

it has died now :( but thanks for your advice and help. I dont know what it was....but my fish tank went through its cycle and is clean. I think it may have had a disease when I bought it :s

Back
Top Bottom