Converting to saltwater, is this a good setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ketchup318

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All

I think I'm finally going to get around to switching over to saltwater. I got the finance committee to finally agree and here's what I'm planning... wondering if it's a good start

Currently Have
Aqueon 36G bowfront
Eheim 2213 Canister
Coralife UV Sterilizer
Koralia 240 Powerhead
Stock Lights

To Get
Glass holes overflow 700GPH kit
Glass holes 1/2" return kit
10G tank for sump
return pump (maybe a small marineland maxijet)
25lbs of fuji dry rock from BRS
10lbs of fuji live rock from LFS
2" of live sand from LFS
one more Koralia 240 Powerhead
thinking about a reef octopus NWB110 skimmer...

Anyone see anything wrong with my potential setup? I'm still looking around for skimmers. I figure I can delay that a bit while everything's cycling/curing... (from what I read it'll take around a month with my ratio of dry to live)

Also is a sump overkill? I like the fact that my current FW tank is silent. A skimmer, overflow and return seems to me like it would be kinda loud.

Thanks for any help.

Are you planning on coral, or just fowlr?

Do you have space for a larger sump? A 10 gallon sump will not give many options for housing equipment, especially if you think at some point you will upgrade to reef keeping and want space for things like auto top off, multiple heaters, skimmer, dosing system, reactors.

hi fort384

this is just going to be FOWLR. but I can see myself wanting coral eventually. Probably won't venture there for a while though since it's a bit cost prohibitive and there's a leaving curve I need to master first with marine.

Sounds good.

I would not run the canister filter - I would just put some live rock rubble in the sump. Canisters tend to become nitrate factories on SW tanks, and LR will offer plenty of biological filtration.

Based on your plan, I would still opt for the LARGEST sump you can fit in the space you have available. 10 gallons will be tough even to fit just a skimmer and return pump, much less offer room for other equipment, a refugium, or anything else you may wish to add. I have a 20 gal on my tank, and I wish it was larger :)

thanks, i'm not sure if a 20g would fit in the stand. it's kinda cramped as is. At first I was thinking I would only use a HOB skimmer. But it would seem that even with a 10G sump, and a decent sump skimmer, that would be better overall... is that seem right? I'm not too happy about drilling holes in a perfectly good tank.

Some would say there is nothing good about the tank if there are no holes in it ;)

I agree, 10 gallons is better than no sump. If 10 is as big as you can get, I am sure you can make it work... just wanted to caution that if you can go bigger, I would do it :)

I would go with a mag 7 for return pump. That should work fine with your overflow check out eshopps 800 hob overflow works great always restarts siphon and might be cheaper. As for corals you should plan for them, we all start out with maybe and always ends up with I want more!!! Frags are cheap some less than fish.

Anyone hear of a reef octopus bh50 (in-tank or in-sump capable)? I've seen some sites selling it. Doesn't look like its currently being sold by reef octopus, or its been discontinued. Seems like it would fit great in a 10g sump.

The bubble magus NAC3 would work well - it has a small footprint because the pump is underneath the cone.

hi fort

the BM3+ or BM3.5? The shape is a bit different... one's a cone (3.5), the other's not. How does this stack up against the Reef Octopus. I'm reading threads and it's a toss up as to which one is better.

The 3 would be fine for your tank. That is what I have on my 57 with a 20 gal sump and nitrates and phosphates are always close to zero.

As far as which one I think they are both good. However with your small sump the footprint of the bubble magus is superior.

I would sell the UV and put the money towards a better filter. But that's just me some people swear by them...especially if you want a mandrin goby or anything like it, as the sterilizer could possibly kill its food supply

Back
Top Bottom